Auto start Offer Manager on a CAS RRS feed

• Question

• I decided to experiment with the SCCM DCM rules on my SCCM 2012 environment.  I noticed that a non compliance rule popped up on the "Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Site Server" / "Auto start Offer Manager" rule.  The issue seems to be that the detection mechanism picks up site servers, but doesn't distinguish the CAS from the Primary.   My understanding is that the CAS shouldn't have the Offer Manager running. 

I'm still working out the details of how to use DCM, but it appears the only two things I can think of to remove the alert is:

1. Duplicate the baseline with one specifically for the CAS, which will require me to figure out how to detect the difference between a CAS and a Primary
    2. Just remove that particular rule.

There doesn't seem to be any way to exclude or override the rules to specify that specific computers shouldn't run the rule.  If I'm wrong about that I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to do that.  Back when DCM first came out I wondered why they didn't put in in SCOM instead, this would have worked much better there, particularly with the ability to override the rules.

Bob

Monday, November 19, 2012 3:04 PM

Answers

• I believe I did, but I don't remember the response.

Bob

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, February 4, 2013 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Panick Monday, February 4, 2013 7:35 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 7:01 PM

All replies

• well the CAS won't have a MP or DP so there's a start

what DCM's are you testing here ?

Step by Step Configuration Manager Guides > 2012 Guides | 2007 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:49 AM
  • Looking back I wasn't as clear as I should have been.  The CAS trips the Auto Start Offer Manager alert, the Primary doesn't.  Which makes sense since the CAS shouldn't have an offer manager running.  My point is that the detection rules don't distinguish between the CAS and a Primary, and this particular rule will always fail on a CAS. 

I don't expect Microsoft to fix this immediately, it would be inice if they would do it eventually.  What I'm after is there any other work arounds than the two I've come up with so far.

Bob

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Yes, I know this is an old post but I’m trying to clean up old posts.

Did you figure this out?

Did you post a bug issue on the connect site for this? If so what is the link so that other have vote it up?

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Sunday, December 30, 2012 5:16 PM
  • I believe I did, but I don't remember the response.

Bob

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, February 4, 2013 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Panick Monday, February 4, 2013 7:35 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 7:01 PM