none
WDS and MDT2012 both insert computer object into active directory at same time RRS feed

• Question

• I'm still learning with MDT and WDS, but have noticed something that I'm not sure how to correct.  There ends up being 2 computer objects created, one from Client Naming Policy in WDS (WDS Server properties > AD DS tab) and then the other from what Lite Touch has when it asks for computer name.

I've noticed that in active directory, I have a whole bunch of computer objects that were created each time I have done a deployment that follow along the Client Naming Policy.  I also have the computer object of which I specified the name of it from the Lite Touch wizard.

I think it is odd, but I cannot leave the Client Naming Policy box blank in WDS (it will not accept it being empty).

Can someone help explain as to what is going on or what I am missing?

I don't have anything fancy in place for computer naming like scripts or anything.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• When using MDT you should only use WDS for PxE, nothing more. When setting up WDS you just need to add the boot images from the MDT deployment share and nothing else. Check this out (Its a little old but the steps are basically the same):

http://blogs.technet.com/b/danstolts/archive/2010/03/11/deploy-windows-7-the-easy-way-using-wds-mdt-and-aik-step-by-step-video.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, May 15, 2014 4:41 AM
  • I watched that before, and again just now, but it still leaves me wondering on how to correct the issue.

I read on another site that I need to modify the WDS Properties > Client tab -> check enable unattended installation and point to your .xml file.

Doesn't MDT already create and use an unattended answer file?  If it does, will enabling that option in WDS and pointing to the unattend xml file cause issues?

Sorry if I'm missing something.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:33 PM
  • No worries Jeffro, that's why we are here.

WDS is an entirely separate deployment solution from MDT. WDS was a method of deploying images back in the day, before MDT. MDT just leverages the PxE capabilities in WDS - that's it. Your issue is that you are using 2 deployment methods when you should be using MDT to do all the heavy lifting. So to answer your questions, you should not be using ANY options in WDS because MDT does in fact do it all for you.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:47 PM
  • Do you think I delete/remove the WDS server and re-setup that again just using the defaults?
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:04 PM
  • After messing with it some more, it seems to create the object in Active Directory > Computers group as soon as I "Approve" the computer in WDS.  Does that mean anything?
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:40 PM