Dell Latitude E6530 (Win81) reboots after Dell "getting devices ready" screen during image deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I am pushing a fully patched image to a Dell Latitude E6530 and installing a few extra programs via the program selection wizard.  Driver injection works fine (I just imported the latest drivers via Dell's CAB), OS install is successful, but I'm running into a problem during the Dell "getting devices ready" screen.  The percentage progresses to 100%, then the screen goes black right before it's about to get to the finalizing screen.  It reboots thereafter, then takes me to a screen to join a wireless network and create the profile for the administrator account.  All I have to do is click next, it creates the profile, then proceeds with the install.  Everything seems to install fine at that point.

The fact that it's breaking the task sequence at the Dell "getting devices ready" screen makes me suspicious of drivers.  I read through a few threads that suggest chipset drivers are the culprit, but I'm not terribly convinced.  I'm concerned that we might start running into this problem with other machines.  On a side note, I am not joining the machine to the domain; I select WORKGROUP on the wizard instead.

Has anyone run into this before?  I haven't encountered this on any other machine.  Usually the deployment proceeds w/o a hitch.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Monday, March 16, 2015 9:11 PM

All replies

• It sounds like something is wrong with the OOBE section of your unattend.xml file. It should be auto logging in with the Administrator account.

Can you post your unattend.xml file here?

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:11 AM
  • Hi David, thanks for the reply.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5G9Zwc89uMCMVNmQ3ZNQjd6cVE/view?usp=sharing

And FWIW, I have the the Imaging step of the TS disabled as well as bitlocker.  Wouldn't think that to make a difference but thought I would mention it.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:18 PM
  • The only things I see that are different than on my unattend.xml file for Win8.1 is on the OOBE section, my unattend has a random string of characters in the <VALUE> node, where yours is blank. Also, my <PlainText> value is false, where yours is true.

<UserAccounts>
            <AdministratorPassword>

<Value></Value>
              <PlainText>true</PlainText>
            </AdministratorPassword>
          </UserAccounts>
          <AutoLogon>
            <Enabled>true</Enabled>
            <Username>Administrator</Username>
            <Domain>.</Domain>
            <Password>

<Value></Value>
              <PlainText>true</PlainText>
            </Password>
            <LogonCount>999</LogonCount>
          </AutoLogon>

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:15 PM
  • That is interesting...I'm fairly certain that this is the problem:

https://keithga.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/mdt-2013-fails-to-deploy-unattended-on-win-8-1-with-wi-fi-network-card/

I'll have to test this out to confirm, but in fact I am missing these entries in the 8.1 unattend file:

HideLocalAccountScreen
    HideOnlineAccountScreens
    HideWirelessSetupInOOBE

FWIW, those entries are present in my 8.0 unattend file.  That basically confirms what Keith describes as the root cause in that thread.

• Edited by resident1155 Thursday, March 19, 2015 12:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by David Bloomer Thursday, March 19, 2015 5:26 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 12:44 PM