none
Printer Madness

Question

• I have four Shared printers to be installed for users via Group Policy Preferences with the User Configuration in order to set a default printer.

Of the four, only the HP 4350 installs with no hassle. The other three printers are: an HP 4600, a Sharp copier / printer and a Konica Minolta copier / printer and they don't install.

I need to do the latter three manually from the print server at the workstation. I'm then prompted to install a driver AND then prompted for admin credentials. I'm wondering if the HP 4350 driver's already in Windows and that's why it installs. Although, the HP 4600's an old printer too.

So, what's the best way (script?) to install the driver(s) ahead of GPP installing the printers. Group Policy can't seem to do both, even when I designate users can install drivers and don't show any elevation prompts.

Thoughts?

Thursday, May 28, 2015 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I need to do the latter three manually from the print server at the workstation. I'm then prompted to install a driver AND then prompted for admin credentials.

Based on the description, did we disable the following policy setting?

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers : Point and Print Restrictions

Regarding this setting, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Control Printer Driver Installation Security

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753269.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 29, 2015 7:24 AM

All replies

• I would use the universal driver for the HPs and make sure your print server has the x64 and x86 drivers installed.

Do the printers install if you deploy them to the computer? That is my preferred method and I documented my steps here: http://deployhappiness.com/deploying-printers-with-group-policy-preferences/

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Thursday, May 28, 2015 6:18 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I think I reviewed this document and I believe I've tried the computer configuration side. As I said, the HP 4350 has always worked flawlessly. That's why I'm surprised the HP4600 hasn't and the other two models have always been a problem and have forced me to manually install them.

I'm starting over because I'm setting up a new W2012 print server. I'm not worried about x86 drivers. My only 32-bit computers will be gone soon.

Not sure how I'd set the default printer. Getting them installed will be the first battle.

I enjoy your blog!

Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

>>I need to do the latter three manually from the print server at the workstation. I'm then prompted to install a driver AND then prompted for admin credentials.

Based on the description, did we disable the following policy setting?

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers : Point and Print Restrictions

Regarding this setting, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Control Printer Driver Installation Security

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753269.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 29, 2015 7:24 AM
  • It appears to have worked from the computer side of GPP.

In you're blog on this subject, you pointed out you can't set a default printer with this method "without some trickery".

So, what's the trick?

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 2:40 PM