IP address conflict Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I've 2 wired laptops, 1 wireless laptop & 1 wired desktop and I'm using one modem to connect all four PCs to the internet.  Since I got the newest laptop with Windows 7, everytime I use internet, the "IP address conflict" message always pops up and it is annoying.  With Vista and XP, this never happened.    How do I fix this or turn that message off.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you use a router to connect to your four computers? If so, please kindly refer to the following steps to check result:

Method 1: Reset router.

Method 2: Run the following command with elevated privilege to reset Internet Protocol:

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET

Method 3: According to the router’s IP address, you may also assign the static IP address to your computers.

Assign a Static IP Address

=================

Before we go further, I would like to let you know some general router IP address, In most cases, the router address is “192.168.1.1”, “192.168.0.1” or “192.168.18.1”. If we know the IP address of the router, let’s perform the following steps.

1. Click "Start", input "NCPA.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click "Properties".

3. Click “Continue” button to verify the administrator permission.

4. Click to select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", and then click "Properties".

5. Select “use the following IP address”.

Manually set “IP address” (for example: if your router IP address is 192.168.1.1, we can type the IP address as 192.168.1.22, if the router IP address is 192.168.0.1, we should type in 192.168.0.22)

Manually set “Subnet mask” as 255.255.255.0 (Note: we can use this address as the default subnet mask)

Manually set “Default gateway” (Note: Default gateway is the IP address of your router)

Manually set “preferred DNS server” (Note: Preferred DNS server also is the address of your router)

6. Click “OK”.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, December 27, 2010 1:56 AM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:05 AM

All replies

• the message says that 2 PCs have the same IP address. Do you get the IP from a Router / DHCP?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

Do you use a router to connect to your four computers? If so, please kindly refer to the following steps to check result:

Method 1: Reset router.

Method 2: Run the following command with elevated privilege to reset Internet Protocol:

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET

Method 3: According to the router’s IP address, you may also assign the static IP address to your computers.

Assign a Static IP Address

=================

Before we go further, I would like to let you know some general router IP address, In most cases, the router address is “192.168.1.1”, “192.168.0.1” or “192.168.18.1”. If we know the IP address of the router, let’s perform the following steps.

1. Click "Start", input "NCPA.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click "Properties".

3. Click “Continue” button to verify the administrator permission.

4. Click to select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", and then click "Properties".

5. Select “use the following IP address”.

Manually set “IP address” (for example: if your router IP address is 192.168.1.1, we can type the IP address as 192.168.1.22, if the router IP address is 192.168.0.1, we should type in 192.168.0.22)

Manually set “Subnet mask” as 255.255.255.0 (Note: we can use this address as the default subnet mask)

Manually set “Default gateway” (Note: Default gateway is the IP address of your router)

Manually set “preferred DNS server” (Note: Preferred DNS server also is the address of your router)

6. Click “OK”.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, December 27, 2010 1:56 AM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:05 AM
  • Elevated privilege?  You must feel very proud to know all this computer-speak.  Of course, it is of very little value to

those of us who are butchers, bakers and candlestick makers.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:37 PM