none
SCOM 2016 Side by Side migration

Question

• Hi,

i am planning to do a side by side migration of SCOM. my current setup is based on Windows 2012 R2 and SCOM 2012 R2. i have around 300 servers, custom third party MP's like Citrix, HP etc, network devices, storage........ i checked here few people done this with 2007 to 2012 and have an idea about steps but since i have so much in my SCOM being monitored i need some good guide and personal experience tips of someone to achieve this.

is there any guide available step by step to perform this activity? my big concern is also for the MP's specially custom and third party.

please share your comments. Thanks.

Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:27 PM

Answers

• hmmmmmm, what i understood from you that after i prepare the new OM16 env. i have to import all the new MP's from catalog/disk and then only export/import the custom MP's which have been created for override etc purpose. Then it will look like my OM12 env.?

That is correct.

You can refer this series here (phase 1 through 5  i guess) to get the general idea. You can also get high-level steps by combining everyone's answers in this thread.

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/scom-2012-rc-side-by-side-migration-phase-1-preparations/

Sam

Saturday, November 11, 2017 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

let's strat with the fact that in the side by side migration scenario you are actually setting up a whole new environment and then you are importing your management packs again.

One thing that is very important before starting is if the MP from the vendor does support SCOM 2016. Judging from experience there are certain MPs which are causing issues after imported in SCOM 2016, because of some custom logic. So, please do make sure the MP (Citrix, HP, etc.) is supportred for 2016.

I have selected a couple fo articles, where tips and tricks are shared. You can use them to create your migration plan.:

Resources & Tips About Upgrading To SCOM 2016

SCOM 2016 – Upgrade Notes from the Field

My SCOM 2016 side-by-side upgrade experience

In regards to network devices you don't have to worry. You have the network generator tool, which allows you to build your network device monitoring MP, using the vendor's MIB file.

Hope this helps you out. Regards, 

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:25 PM
  • Hello,

Goes without saying but have your SCOM 16 ready before you do anything in 2012.

You need to multi-home your agents to these 2 MG's and then slowly migrate your MP's one by one and verify if it's being transferred correctly. If you've some integration in place with any ITSM tool for ticketing, make sure you don't create any duplicate tickets (I learned this the hard way back when I was doing 07 to 12 migration ;)).

Then move your agents slowly as you move your MP's respective to the technology. E.g., If you've imported and configured SQL MP, you can test it by moving a couple of SQL agents to new MG to see how they do. Your custom MP's and the data inside will be transferred mostly fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

This is based on SCOM 07 to 12 migration but I'm sure it more or less applies. If I've missed something I'm sure others would explain it better.

But this is a slow and steady process so be patient :) Refer to this guide here:

http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/cfuller/archive/2013/03/06/multi-homed-migrations-from-opsmgr-2007-r2-to-opsmgr-2012-and-overrides-scom-sysctr/

Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:28 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Thanks for your reply. i have checked the article you shared, the point is i could not found side by side migration information on technet but for the Upgrade. so i am seeking some step by step procedure for building the environment and importing of MP's.

your second point is very important i will definitely keep this in mind and check with the vendor.

appreciated your response.

Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:32 PM
  • Hello,

First step is to build a new SCOM 2016 environment:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2016/10/22/opsmgr-2016-quickstart-deployment-guide/

And then you can add this new management group to your SCOm 2012 agents. This way, your agent is multi-homed. 

Then you can import proper management packs into your SCOM 2016, such as Windows Operating System management pack and SQL server management pack. You may export management packs from SCOM 2012 and then import them to your new management group. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 10, 2017 2:50 AM
  • Thanks guys for your reply.  i have not yet prepared the OM16 environment as i am in planning phase trying to note down all the peace of information which can help me for migration.

as i understood from you guys i have to go according to the below sequence, please correct me if i am wrong at some point.

1. prepare the sheet the collect all the information of the current environment (agents, MP's, integration etc)

2. after the sizing, prepare the new environment.

3. import the fresh MP's from the catalog or import the one from OM12 environment (here im confused)

4. install the agents from OM16 console according to requirements (application wise or as needed)

5. export the MP's and overrides from OM12 and import into OM16

7. import/export the DA's

8. checking the third party compatibility with OM16 and if yes then import it with overrides or import the new one from vendor and recreate the overrides by watching the OM12

9. integration of ticket system (ITSM) with OM16. I have SCSM integrated with OM12

10. after verifying everything is working fine, uninstall the agents from OM12 console.

11. uninstallation of OM12 and decommission of servers and DB's

Friday, November 10, 2017 7:42 PM
  • Thanks Sameer for your suggestion.

If you've some integration in place with any ITSM tool for ticketing, make sure you don't create any duplicate tickets (I learned this the hard way back when I was doing 07 to 12 migration ;)).

yes i have SCSM integrated with my OM12 environment. i think i have to create the new connector in my SCSM for this once i have migrated them?

Friday, November 10, 2017 7:49 PM
  • Thanks Sameer for your suggestion.

If you've some integration in place with any ITSM tool for ticketing, make sure you don't create any duplicate tickets (I learned this the hard way back when I was doing 07 to 12 migration ;)).

yes i have SCSM integrated with my OM12 environment. i think i have to create the new connector in my SCSM for this once i have migrated them?

Yes sir, that is correct.

You can newly import any vendor/sealed MP's, but to preserve your old config like overrides and groups n stuff you need to export/import your custom MP's so that that is also preserved.

Hope this makes sense.

Sam

Saturday, November 11, 2017 6:05 AM
  • what about the other MP's like Microsoft windows, DNS, IIS, SQL?

do i have to export/import them from OM12 or i have to download it from catalog? it doesnt make sense to me to download it from catalog after preparing the OM16 environment and then again export/import from OM12.

how did you managed this?

Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:56 AM
  • You can not export sealed MP's. A side by side migration is basically setting up a new SCOM env  from scratch and then adding your custom things from your old env.

Whenever you do any changes in SCOM you save it in custom unsealed MP's, and when you export then from 12 and import in 16, all those changes apply in new SCOM.

So MP's like the ones you mentioned, are sealed and so you'll have to import from catalog (or local disk).

Sam

Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:42 PM
  • hmmmmmm, what i understood from you that after i prepare the new OM16 env. i have to import all the new MP's from catalog/disk and then only export/import the custom MP's which have been created for override etc purpose. Then it will look like my OM12 env.?

Second do you have any link which can describe the steps to do that in correct manner. appreciated your help.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 5:14 PM

That is correct.

You can refer this series here (phase 1 through 5  i guess) to get the general idea. You can also get high-level steps by combining everyone's answers in this thread.

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/scom-2012-rc-side-by-side-migration-phase-1-preparations/

Sam

Saturday, November 11, 2017 5:44 PM
  • it seems a long series of tasks to be done, i will go through this and will update if anything else to be asked. Thanks Sam for your help, really appreciated.
    Sunday, November 12, 2017 1:38 PM