windows explorer stopped working and restarting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a windows vista home edition laptop by dell. whenever i click my control panel, this annoying message pops up all the time. Will you please help me on what to do? Thanks....

Sunday, March 3, 2013 8:15 PM

All replies

• Reregister the Shell's Registry Entries

Try Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy and paste by right clicking in the Command Prompt window and choosing Paste).

regsvr32 /i shell32

Delete Folder Settings

Try Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy and paste by right clicking in the Command Prompt window and choosing Paste).

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell" /f

A Clean Boot for Explorer

It might be caused by a shell extension.

Explorer is built on addin programs called Shell Extensions. The standard ones are supplied by Microsoft but programs add their own.

Download
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
    • Close any Explorer windows
    • Start ShExView by right clicking and choose Run As Administrator
    • Disable all non Microsoft shell extensions
    • Click Start. Ctrl + Shift + Right click a blank spot (just above the power buttons is one place) then Exit Explorer.
    • Press Ctrl + Shift + Escape
    • Check all explorer processes are closed. On the Process tab select explorer and right click and choose End Process, repeat if more than one explorer in the list.
    • Click the File menu then New Task (Run) and type explorer

and if it helps, reenable one by one to identify which one.

--
    --
    "eddiesj2274" wrote in message news:193294ee-c9d7-4e1b-bcf9-3803e7e0a553...

Hi, I have a windows vista home edition laptop by dell. whenever i click my control panel, this annoying message pops up all the time. Will you please help me on what to do? Thanks....

David Candy
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:04 AM
  • To See if a Fix is Available

In Control Panel (and select Classic view in the left hand pane) choose Problem Reports and Solutions (type problem in Start's search box), go to Problem History, right click your error and choose Check For Solution. You may also right click and choose Details for more info. Post those details here.

--
    --
    "eddiesj2274" wrote in message news:193294ee-c9d7-4e1b-bcf9-3803e7e0a553...

Hi, I have a windows vista home edition laptop by dell. whenever i click my control panel, this annoying message pops up all the time. Will you please help me on what to do? Thanks....

David Candy
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:07 AM