Sharepoint check-out document cross reference problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a problem with check-outed word document from Sharepoint Services 3.0.

After I check-out document from Sharepoint, cross references in Word document stop working. After I click to cross reference (Ctrl+Click to follow link), Word show me warning message: "Some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer...Would you like to open this file". There is two buttons - OK and cancel. After pressing OK nothing happens.

I have Sharepoint Services 2003 (clear installation, no custom code), MS Word 2007 and trying .doc file format.

I tried this on two Sharepoints and two client computers, but it is the same.

I tried http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B925757&x=8&y=9 , but did not help.

How can I disable this behavior?

Thanks
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The instructions in KB925757 apply only to the hyperlinks inserted in Office documents and it does not apply to hyperlinks in SharePoint Document libraries. Therefore it is appropriate to issue a prompt to notify user of the security risks.

Please try to move the SharePoint site to “Trusted Sites” and then check the result.

Hope it helps.

Lily Wu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Lily Wu
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, February 19, 2010 5:47 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The instructions in KB925757 apply only to the hyperlinks inserted in Office documents and it does not apply to hyperlinks in SharePoint Document libraries. Therefore it is appropriate to issue a prompt to notify user of the security risks.

Please try to move the SharePoint site to “Trusted Sites” and then check the result.

Hope it helps.

Lily Wu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Lily Wu
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, February 19, 2010 5:47 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:13 AM
  • Hi Lily,

Thank you for your response to this.  I know it's been a while since this post was updated, but I have been asked to help track down a problem for another user here at work.  When she checks out a word document, her references and links trigger the security warning, which does not actually let the link work.  I was able to replicate the problem, which seems to be a local issue somehow involved with Checkout.

I tried to add the sharepoint site to my trusted location, but the fix did not work. I tried a few different locations, but none removed the warning in Word.  

I am in a domain environment with non-administrative computer rights.  Could it be that the fix is not working due to some Group Policy setting?  Is there something else I can try locally, or is there possibly something my IT Department can do to assist me with this?  Is there another way to write the path so that it works in trusted sites?  I used http//: nomenclature.

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Jen

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:10 PM