none
Variation root must be a Publishing site in Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create site variations of all site collections in SharePoint 2013 online (Office 365) to accommodate different languages, and I'm getting stuck very early on.  After going to Home -> Site Settings -> Variation Settings and trying to create a variation of the top-level website (i.e. '\'), I get the error

Variation root must be a Publishing site.

Is there something really simple that I'm missing here?  Any ideas?

Currently We are creating site Collection with Custom Template and after activating SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure Feature got variation setting and other variation options

While creating Variation labels its giving error Variation root must be a Publishing site.

Please provide some proper input on this error.

Thanks in Advanced!!!

Thanks!
    Vivek Kumar Pandey

Friday, December 19, 2014 6:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Vivek I think you are required to remove the sitecollection and recreate it with the publishing template. If you do not have any content yet, you can do this without any data loss. Kind regards
    Sunday, December 21, 2014 10:27 AM
  • Hello Joran,

We are creating Site Collection With Custom Template but we activated SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure Feature.

Can We use Variation in this scenario for Multilingual ?

Please guide me on this.

Monday, December 22, 2014 5:57 AM
  • Hi Vivek,

Beside the  SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure Feature at the sitecollection you need to activate the SharePoint Server Publishing site feature. Then are prerequisities are met!

Kind regards,
    Joran Markx

Monday, December 22, 2014 11:37 AM
  • Hi

I've the same problem.

Are you able to create it without this error message?

Thanks in advances

Dominik

Monday, January 12, 2015 2:39 PM
  • Thanks Joran Markx it worked for me
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:44 PM