icons and taskbar missing also cannot use keyboard shortcuts RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to access my icons, taskbar and keyboard shortcuts. I can search the internet and some files via the task maager but that is my limit.

I NEED A WAY TO GET INTO MY CONTROL PANEL AND SEE IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

NOT SURE IF I NEED TO DO A COMPLETE SYSTEM RESTORE. I AM TRYING TO ELIMINATE LOSING ALL MY PICS AND DATA STORED.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This behavior occurs if the Windows Explorer does not work properly. I suggest that you follow the steps below to troubleshooting.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Search "msconfig" in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists in Clean Boot Mode, I suggest that you download ShellExView and use it to disable third party Windows Explorer add-ons.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Run ShellExView, in the pane sort the entries with manufacturers. Disable all non-Microsoft *.dll files, and check the result. If the issue does not occur, one of the files can be the culprit. We could narrow down it one by one.

However, if the issue still occurs, your user profile may be corrupt. I suggest that you create a new account.

Create a new user account

====================

1. Search and launch IE, type "Control Panel" in the address bar and press Enter. When prompt pops-up, click "Allow". 

2. Click Classic View in left panel. 

3. Double-click User Accounts.

4. Click Manage another use account. 

5. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

6. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

7. Click Create Account.

8. Log off and log on with the new account.

If the issue does not occur in the new profile, follow the steps below to transfer personal data. 

Transfer user profile

===============

1. Log on as the new user account (make sure the new user account has administrator privilege).

2. Click the Start menu, and click Computer.

3. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder and Search Options.

4. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

5. Navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.

Note: The "old user name" refers to the user name of your old account. For example, if the user name of your old account is "Larry", the folder should be C:\Users\Larry.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

Hope it helps.

Friday, January 9, 2009 6:53 AM