search results limited on outlook 2016 after upgrading to exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently moved from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016, and after all the headaches in getting it working properly we have end users complaining about limited search results from Outlook 2016 client.

Initially the default of 250 results seemed fine, but there are a few end users who "must" see all of their mail from 6 or 7 years. We have been able to update the MaxHitsForFullTextIndexSearches setting to 1000, however when we try to change this to 10000 or even 5000 the databases get dismounted. I know the valid range for this setting is 1 to 100000, and I realize this will definitely impact the server performance

I am not entirely sure what the problem is here, if it is a limitation of drive i/o, or RAM, or some other configuration setting.

there are only a few users with this "issue" so if there was a setting that we can change for a specific account that would work much better than changing the global value.

thank you for any information you can send my way

Monday, March 18, 2019 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hi ootem,

>> I know the valid range for this setting is 1 to 100000, and I realize this will definitely impact the server performance
    Normally, although the valid range for this setting is 1 to 100000 in theory, it can still be affected by many other aspects. In many cases, we may not directly set it to the maximum value. For your example, Database can be out of load.

Considering your situation, instead of retrieving data from server, we can keep emails in local PST files by year as a workaround. Then you are able to search these PST data files locally to get the emails you need.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 9:19 AM
  • Hi ootem,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    And if you need further assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 25, 2019 9:14 AM