locked
Superfetch Service going nuts RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    We experiencing a strange issue in our environment on some computers that I cannot explain and I need your help.

    All users that reported the issue have almost the same Hardware (Dell OptiPlex 790 or 7010 / Win7 x64 /Core i5 / 4 to 8 GB RAM/ 320 to 500GB HDD).

    The users report that their computer gets painfully slow so that they cannot use it anymore. I checked some computers and noticed that the HDD runs at 70 to 100% Highest Active Time and 2 to 10 MB/s Disk I/O. Most of the activities where disk reads in various places like Program Files and the Windows Folder.

    The Resource Monitor shows that all the disk activity comes from the System Process. After using perfmon it looked like that the SuperFetch Service is causing this issue.

    Therefore, I stopped the service and after 30 to 60 Seconds the high disk activity was gone completely on all the systems I´ve checked.

    The users reported that this behavior started round about 2 weeks ago. So it could be related to Windows Updates, but it can also be something else.

    For better troubleshooting I picked up one OptiPlex 7010 from our stock room and installed our cooperate Image (Win7 x64 / Office 2010 / Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 / SCCM 2012R2) and all current Windows Updates. After maybe 1 or 2 hours, I could see exactly the issue with the high disk activity again. So I stopped the SuperFetch Servers and again after 30 to 60 seconds the issue was gone. If I restart the SuperFetch Servers afterwards the issue does not appear again.

    I´m a bit helpless with troubleshooting this issue, so I hope you can help me.

    Are there any log files from the from the SuperFetch service that I can check?

    Here is a screenshot of the issue. Orange is the System Process. Around 30 seconds after stopping the Superfetch Service the high Disk I/O was gone:


    Thanks a lot!

    Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:50 PM

Answers

  • Hi Fangzhou,

    Thanks for your reply. It turned out that my first investigation was wrong and the issue was not directly related to the Superfetch service.

    We found out that the issue was caused by Symantec Endpoint Protection. We had to disable the following Setting: Auto-Protect => Advanced => File Cache => Rescan the cache when new definitions are load.

    It seems like that on some clients the cache can get very large, so it takes forever to rescan it when new definitions are loaded.

    The issue was not caused by MS.

     



    • Marked as answer by St3fan_ Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:54 AM
    • Edited by St3fan_ Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:54 AM typo
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:54 AM

All replies

  • Hello St3fan_,

    Do these computers run some programs when you meet this issue?

    As this issue started round about 2 weeks ago, please use the system restore to restore your computers’ system files to an earlier point.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows/what-is-system-restore#1TC=windows-7

    Please try to update the hard disk driver for the manufacturer website and check if the issue still exists.

    Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN


    Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:32 AM
  • Hi Fangzhou,

    Thanks for your reply. It turned out that my first investigation was wrong and the issue was not directly related to the Superfetch service.

    We found out that the issue was caused by Symantec Endpoint Protection. We had to disable the following Setting: Auto-Protect => Advanced => File Cache => Rescan the cache when new definitions are load.

    It seems like that on some clients the cache can get very large, so it takes forever to rescan it when new definitions are loaded.

    The issue was not caused by MS.

     



    • Marked as answer by St3fan_ Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:54 AM
    • Edited by St3fan_ Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:54 AM typo
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:54 AM