none
Limiting Size of Personal Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I was recently and forcefully appointed IT-Manager at a small company. I am just a Project Manager with limited experience in running and maintaining a company IT-Infrastructure, hence the forcefully. :)

Anyway, we are running Windows 7 machines and Exchange 2010. We synchronize parts of our local profiles (desktop, my documents, etc.) to the server to ensure that when a machine shorts out or you want to work on a different machine, you have access to your most important personal files. I advise all staff to use the network drives for all other data and it works fine. Each user profile is between 200MB and 800MB, no problems there. We have just one black sheep in the outfit with a profile of 17GB.

The twist: it is the Managing Director and owner of the outfit. I have told him about 200 times to not store stuff on his desktop. To no avail. He cleaned the desktop about a month ago and now he is back to a 10GB desktop.

So the question is: Is there a way to limit the number of files or the overall size of files on a desktop? My predecessor assigned a fairly small part of the server-side hard drives for storing and handling the user profiles, and obviously, with the boss's high storage demand, we constantly run into system crashes because of failed synchronizations - just because the network drive has about 10MB of free space.

I appreciate your help!

Marko

• Edited by BigBadYoda Monday, March 10, 2014 9:24 AM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 9:23 AM

All replies

• Is there a way to limit the number of files or the overall size of files on a desktop?

Not directly to the desktop, but you can limit the user's ability by volume (e.g. the space they can use on their local drive). It can be set locally, by right clicking on the volume, select Properties -> Quota. But if the user has Admin rights on their machine (such as perhaps the owner of the business), that might not be a fully functional solution, as an "Admin" user could simply remove the quotas once set.

Then again, if the purpose is merely to gently remind the user that storing files on the "Desktop" is not a good practice (you might also appeal to this business owner's sense of financial loss if something stored on the "Desktop" were permanently lost when the hard drive fails), this may serve the purpose perfectly.

You can also configure Disk Quotas using Group Policy (which would be less likely to be overridden by an "Admin" user, as it would require them to have Domain Admin rights to change the GPO). The Group Policy settings are found in Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Disk Quotas.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Monday, March 10, 2014 4:52 PM