none
Windows 10 1709 Task Sequence issue/question... RRS feed

• Question

• We are using MDT to image our Dell workstations via PXE (WDS).  Boot into MDT and we are prompted to select a Task Sequence to execute.  We select our deploy Task Sequence, plus Applications, and away we go.  Now comes the interesting part...  As of today, after the OS is installed and the system reboots, it no longer automatically continues on with the Task Sequence.  It now prompts to select a Task Sequence, again.  All of the options we previously selected are still selected.  As far as I know, no one has changed any settings in MDT.  Any ideas why we are getting prompted to select a Task Sequence, again?
    Friday, January 5, 2018 6:58 PM

All replies

• Sounds like it boots to the network instead of the windows boot manager. How does the boot priority looks like in the bios?
    Saturday, January 6, 2018 5:31 PM
  • It's not going through the PXE boot process.  It is booting to the hard drive.
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:43 PM
  • I had this same problem with a new MDT build - it's hard to search on this issue!:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b6c5e6da-6a83-4a23-84c3-3328b09fd19b/prompt-for-task-sequence-during-task-sequence-after-boot-to-os?forum=mdt

This has been working fine since, however I've just updated the build to 1709 and now the issue has returned (with no changes to the sequence apart from applying the new OS).  I also recently copied MDT to another location / server and updated that to 1709, the task sequence is identical, one MDT prompts but the other works fine!

So I'm not sure it is the phases; I am recreating the task sequence to see if that resolves it.

Cheers,

Simon

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:46 AM
  • I'm seeing the same issue here as well after updating. I'm also seeing some applications fail to install that were working before the upgrade, but I'm not sure if that is related at all.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 12:58 PM
  • Is this the scenario where it reboots, goes to the desktop and states there is an existing instance of MDT running...and asks if you want to start a new one?
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 6:46 PM
  • Is this the scenario where it reboots, goes to the desktop and states there is an existing instance of MDT running...and asks if you want to start a new one?

Are you referring to the dirty environment found error? That should be unrelated as the original issue referred to above was being caused by the way MDT set UEFI boot loader entries.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:07 AM
  • Originally it sounded as though it was rebooting and starting the TS all over again.
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:20 PM