Vista Beta 2 off DVD fails & corrupts 40Gb HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried installing Vista Beta 2, click on INSTALL, having selected unallocated 40Gb drive space (entire HDD), Vista says it will check drive, reports errors (was OK before this when used as data drive for Windows XP Pro), and requires me to quit.  Further install attempts report HDD now only 5.5Gb, BIOS reports 5.5Gb, Norton Disk Doctor cannot recognise presence of drive, Volume Magic can only see a "bad" 5.5Gb HDD.

Any ideas out there what I can do?

Thursday, June 22, 2006 1:38 AM

All replies

• Ya I hear Alot of Probs from PPl tryin to Upgrade from Xp to Vista...The upgrade seems to be Buggy at times..The BEST bet u can do is .back-up ALL U want to save on cd/dvd then do a CLEAN install..then u should be Good to Go...

Hope this Helps....

Drone1x........

Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:36 AM
  • Well... For what it's worth, I've seen drives go fairly quickly. I had a power outage a while back and when it came back - a drive was flakey and went south rather quickly afterwards. At least I had a chance to copy the stuff off of the drive before it went.

The real clue here is that the BIOS sees a 40 GB hard drive as a 5.5 GB drive. Assuming that XP now, likewise, sees it as a 5.5 GB hard drive - sounds to me like something in the controller for that drive is toast.

The first thing I'd do is dependent on what brand drive you've got. Most of the big names these days have a diagnostic utility you can download and use to check the drive's status. These tend to be more accurate as to what shape the drive is in.

Check the drive to see if it's still under warranty - if so, send it in for replacement. If not, time to visit your favorite hardware vendor for a replacement. Fortunately, you can pick up much bigger drives for a few dollars more than the price of a replacement for that 40. I picked up a SATA 1 80 GB Western Digital Caviar for $50 the other day to use to install Vista x64.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:09 AM
  •  Drone1x wrote:
    Ya I hear Alot of Probs from PPl tryin to Upgrade from Xp to Vista...The upgrade seems to be Buggy at times..The BEST bet u can do is .back-up ALL U want to save on cd/dvd then do a CLEAN install..then u should be Good to Go...

Hope this Helps....

Drone1x........

Uh.. Did you actually read the guy's problem?

1.) He's trying to install Vista on a SEPARATE drive and not doing an upgrade.

2.) He's NOT going to get anywhere given the BIOS reports his hard drive as being 5.5 GB instead of 40. Given Vista's installer insists on having 15 GB free disk space, the installer is NOT going to install it there.

The correct option is to find out what's up with the drive - and repair or replace it as needed.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:16 AM
  • OK my BADD..I thoght he was tryin to Upgrade...cause i had same prob with that option that why I opted for the CLEAN install ....sorry for the Mis-Info .....

Drone1x.......
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:45 PM