IFM for windows 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to use the IFM method and promote a Windows 2008 R2 domain controller from a Windows 2008 domain controller ?
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is it possible to use the IFM method and promote a Windows 2008 R2 domain controller from a Windows 2008 domain controller ?

Following article might help

Installing an Additional Domain Controller by Using IFM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816722(v=ws.10).aspx

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

- .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....

• Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Banc0 Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:28 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Santosh, he has provided the right article about how to use IFM to install an additional DC in the existing domain, we could refer to the steps to try to install the additional DC.

In addition, we could also refer to the detailed steps provided in the following article to install an additional DC by using IFM.

Step-by-Step Guide to Install an Additional Domain Controller by Using IFM (en-US)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/8630.step-by-step-guide-to-install-an-additional-domain-controller-by-using-ifm-en-us.aspx

Regards,

Andy

• Proposed as answer by Santosh Bhandarkar Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:15 AM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Thank you for the article but I just wanted to make sure.  The article has a line that reads:

"You can use a 32-bit domain controller to generate installation media for a 64-bit domain controller; the reverse is also true. The ability to mix processor types for IFM installations is new in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2."

Does that mean I can use the IFM method and use a backup from regular Windows 2008 and promote a Windows 2008 R2 domain controller? 

Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Thank you for the article but I just wanted to make sure.  The article has a line that reads:

"You can use a 32-bit domain controller to generate installation media for a 64-bit domain controller; the reverse is also true. The ability to mix processor types for IFM installations is new in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2."

Does that mean I can use the IFM method and use a backup from regular Windows 2008 and promote a Windows 2008 R2 domain controller? 

Generally speaking, that should work however, to be frank, I haven't tried that yet.

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

- .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....

Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:43 PM