XP Media Center Laptop can't connect to internet after Virus RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am working on my in-law's laptop since they had a nasty little trojan and many other malware that infected their PC and started the fake Anti-Virus pop-up nightmare. I installed Avast Free via USB Thumbdrive, ran boot scan, deleted many a file since it wouldn't repair them... now, no internet.

I've done the usual research, found some solutions such as:

ipconfig /release... renew... flushdns... etc.

netsh winsock reset

Went into TCP/IP and made sure DNS was obtained automatically... rebooting after each attempt.

Downloaded the WinsockXPFix tool, ran it, nothing...

Firewall is not working properly and Avast is giving an error, probably cuz it can't connect...

Still cannot connect to internet via wire/wireless.

System restore won't work, the backup disk that came with their HP Pavilion dv8000 doesn't see it as an HP PC so won't touch it.

Not sure what to do other than back up all the important stuff and wipe it clean and reinstall XP Pro... which I would love to avoid doing. :P

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Monday, November 21, 2011 11:43 PM

All replies

1. Install Anti-Malware from malwarebytes.org (you will have to download it from a different computer and transfer with a usb flash).
    2. Startup in Safe Mode and run a Full Scan
    3. Check the hosts file for fake entries (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc)
    4. Run MSCONFIG and uncheck all entries you can't account for under the Startup tab
    5. Download (from another computer) the latest driver for the NIC and reinstall it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others with the same problem finding the answer. Thanks.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:47 AM