none
Oracle VSS writer not visible in list of VSS writers -> DPM can't backup Oracle DB RRS feed

• Question

• So, I have DPM 2012 on Win2012. I need to backup Oracle DB using the DPM. RMAN is not an option for now. When I'm trying to add the Oracle DB for backup, I just can't see the DB itself, available for selecting. Its just not there. So, on the Oracle server(Win2008) I run oravssw /q and can see the Oracle VSS writer installed. The thing is I can't see it in VSS writers list, when I run vssadmin list writers.

Any ideas what should I do in order to be able to see the Oracle DB, ready for selection to backup it in DPM?

• Edited by xploda Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:31 PM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I never said that it could not be done, I said it is not supported, meaning you are on your own trying to make it work or having trouble backing up or restoring unsupported data sources.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 30, 2013 1:37 PM

All replies

• I do not have Oracle so I can't help with on hands expirience, but I found this in the forum, perhaps it can help you?:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1559747d-6a85-4ebb-98fc-456ed1742bd6/dpm-and-oracle-or-any-other-vsscapable-not-officially-supported-datasource

Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Saw that one and couple others before posting current thread. Not valid for my case and my targets.

• Edited by xploda Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:39 PM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

DPM only supports backing up Microsoft workloads (SQL,Exchange,Sharepoint,Hyper-V,file servers).  It will not recognize other 3rd party applications even if they have their own writer.  The generic datasource protection was introduced to help enable protection for other MS products for which DPM did not have native protection enabled for, but we still no not support 3rd party writers.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Reidar Johansen Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by xploda Monday, September 2, 2013 6:16 AM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:31 PM
  • OK, there is definitely something wrong here. I've bought a book for DPM 2012 and in it, as well as couple web-sites its written, that it IS possible. I mean use DPM 2012 to backup Oracle DB using Oracle VSS writer. I'm copy/pasting the quotation :

Protecting Oracle with DPM
    DPM has not natively supported the protection of Oracle database with previous
    versions and still does not support it with DPM 2012. However, the new feature of
    generic data source protection can protect Oracle. This can be done because Oracle
    has released a VSS writer.

Protecting Oracle as a generic data source
    with DPM
    The Oracle database functions as a writer that is integrated with VSS-enabled
    applications. The Oracle VSS writer is installed automatically as part of the database.
    You can use VSS-enabled software such as DPM to back up and restore an Oracle
    database even when it is online. In this case DPM is the VSS requestor and Oracle is
    the VSS writer.
    You need to register the generic data source in VSS. You will then need to register
    your Oracle database that you want to protect so that DPM can see it. Do this by
    registering the database SID with the Oracle VSS writer.
    1. Install the DPM agent on the protected computer (the server that is
    running Oracle).
    2. On the protected computer install VSS writer into the desired SID. For
    example, C:\>oravssw ORACLEDPMDB /i:IDOFSID /user:DOMAIN\
    YOURUSERNAME /password:********.
    3. On the protected computer, run C:\>vssadmin list writers.
    4. Copy the writer ID listed against your SID.
    5. On the protected computer run Set-DPMGlobalProperty
    -RegisteredWriters @('VSSWriterID') -DPMservername
    <NAMEOFYOURDPMSERVER>.
    6. On your DPM server, create or modify a protection group and select the
    Oracle VSS writer (SID and the object under it).

The issue is on step 3. If I run vssadmin list writers the Oracle writer is not listed. But when I run oravssw /q I can see it there, installed and running. Our DB team confirmed, they're currently using the mentioned Oracle VSS writer to backup the DBs at the moment. So the Oracle writer is working. The question is what to do, so it can appear in list of writers, when executing vssadmin list writers command? Or what to do to obtain the writer ID, as this is the actual goal - get the writer ID to continue with next steps.

Another issue I came up with yesterday. In instruction, step 5 it says "On the protected computer run....". Its a cmd-let and it can be run only with DPM management shell, which is installed only on DPM server. Is this step right at all? Should this command be executed on the protected(Oracle in my case) server or on the DPM server? If it should be executed on the protected server how to install the management shell there in order to be able to run the command?

Friday, August 30, 2013 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

I never said that it could not be done, I said it is not supported, meaning you are on your own trying to make it work or having trouble backing up or restoring unsupported data sources.

Friday, August 30, 2013 1:37 PM