MOSS 2007 and Office 2003 - Send Too Action in Picture Library RRS feed

• Question

• We've MOSS2007 and Office 2003.  Recently we've started to experiance a rather odd problem when sending pictures to powerpoint or outlook, an error message appears saying that "To use this feature you must have one or more of the following applications installed: Microsoft Excel, etc..." The reason I say it's odd is because everythingelse is working i.e. if I open a document in a document library it's opened in Word, same for PowerPoint etc., it only happens when we try and send (via Actions), a picture to an application, and it's been fine up until now.

My first thought was the latest set of updates to Office / XP killed it somehow, however I assume that the DLL which contains code for that action is the same one that allows word, excel and powerpoint documents to be opened within those applications, so I'm at a loss to explain to my users what caused this or how we can fix it, because that all works.

We're not able to run MS Office repair as it's all centrally controlled.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi DiaGeordie,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:18 AM
  • Hello,

Need bit more context around this...

• Are you doing this from Document Library /Picture Library within MOSS 2007?
      • Can you please post a screenshot of "try and send (via Actions), a picture to an application"?
      • What is the corresponding ULS log entry you see when you see the error "To use this feature you must have one or more of the following applications installed: Microsoft Excel, etc..."

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Nishant,

We're simply trying to send a picture stored in a picture library to powerpoint.

Not sure what you mean by the ULS log entry, but nothing appears in any of the apps or system logs on the servers or the client.

Thanks

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Hello,

Do you know if you have Office Picture Manager installed on the PC you're getting this error message on.

Ref: Sending a picture (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-sharepoint-services-help/working-with-sharepoint-picture-libraries-HA001123335.aspx)

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Yes we do have it on.

We use the mutli-file uploader a lot and that has to call Picture Manager.  It's definiatly still installed.

Thanks

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Is this problem occurring on one single PC or on all of them?
    I understand you mentioned you're not able to run MS Office repair however is it possible to at least reinstall Office Picture Manager and see if that helps?

Regards,
    Nishant Shah

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:44 AM
  • It's happening on all the PC's.

We're not able to run Office Repair because our security policy prevents us from doing so.  We don't have the authority to modify our installation of Office as it's goverened by our license librairian, and the rights on the client PCs.

Those who require it (Picture Manager) have it installed, and it's still there as far as everyone can see.

It has worked up until about a week ago, and so far I've not been able to pin down what changed a week ago.

Thanks

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:50 AM
  • Just confirmed with our change manager that there have been no Microsoft updates applied recently, so it's not been caused by a patch.

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:57 AM
  • Do you know if any newer versions of Microsoft Office programs have been installed along with Office 2003?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828956

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091

Regards,
    Nishant Shah

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:59 AM
  • Hi Nishant,

First thanks for your time on this, it's a curious problem.

We looked at those sheets, early on when we were looking at the problem, however although my system has Visio and MS Project 2007 on it, those were applied after the orgional Office 2003 installation, and the I believe the users who this effects, only have MS Office 2003 on they systems.

Thanks again

Friday, September 28, 2012 11:10 AM
  • We've been able to narrow the cause of the problem down.

It's MS Project.  This was installed on the users PC about three four weeks ago, and the problem has appeared since.  Unfortunatley my system also has that installed.

No MS Project on the system and it works.

Do you know of any conflicts between MS Picture Manager and MS Project?

Thanks 

Friday, September 28, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

The office repair is the ideal solution to your problem but as this is not feasible for you to apply at I would suggest you to check the uls and event viewer logs to find out exactly what the problem is.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Microsoft Office 12 Sessions:

Event ID: 7000

Category: None

Description:

ID: 18, Application Name: Picture Manager, Application Version: 12.0.6606.1000, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.6612.1000. This session lasted 111 seconds with 0 seconds of active time. This session ended normally.

That's all we see in the Microsoft Office Sessions log, and even that doesn't appear everytime.

All I see in the ULS is:

0/01/2012 13:37:06.56  w3wp.exe (0x27DC)                        0x1988 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        8l1n High     An SPRequest object was not disposed before the end of this thread.  To avoid wasting system resources, dispose of this object or its parent (such as an SPSite or SPWeb) as soon as you are done using it.  This object will now be disposed.  Allocation Id: {CF711D7A-EDDA-4463-B34A-4FC39AFB3E2C}  To determine where this object was allocated, create a registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\HeapSettings.  Then create a new DWORD named SPRequestStackTrace with the value 1 under this key. 
    10/01/2012 13:37:08.53  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x09F4)                    0x0B68 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        0 Medium   Entering MRU trim routine. 
    10/01/2012 13:37:08.53  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x09F4)                    0x0B68 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        0 Medium   Initial table size: 38941848 in 297 entries 
    10/01/2012 13:37:08.53  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x09F4)                    0x0B68 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        0 Medium   Final table size: 38941848 in 297 entries 
    10/01/2012 13:37:08.53  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x09F4)                    0x0B68 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        0 Medium   Exiting MRU trim routine. 
    10/01/2012 13:37:15.09  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x09F4)                    0x24B4 Windows SharePoint Services    Timer                          7f9q Medium    Job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.IndexingScheduleJobDefinition, id ea169991-98c3-4451-9343-ffde62fb5b6a not applicable, ignoring 

So no further foreward.

Thanks

Monday, October 1, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Hello,

This requires in-depth log analysis; your question requires a more in-depth level of support which is not feasible thru Forums. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone. If you are a MSDN / TechNet subscriber, you can also contact our support by using your free support incidents.

However, other members of the community may still have encountered the issue you're seeing, and may have a solution to offer!

Regards,
    Nishant Shah

Monday, October 1, 2012 1:36 PM