none
Power Options in "Computer Configuration" Vs "User Configuration" section of a GPO

Question

• Hi

I see that the Power Options are available in "Computer Configuration\Preferences\Control Panel Settings\" as well as in "User Configuration\Preferences\Control Panel Settings\".

What is the difference (if any at all) between these two. If there's no difference, why it has been provided at two places

Thanks

Taranjeet Singh 

zamn

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Singh,

You could use User Configuration in Group Policy to set policies that apply to users, regardless of which computer they log on to.

With Computer Configuration in Group Policy, you could set policies that are applied to computers, regardless of who logs on to the computers.

If there is conflict, such as: computer configuration link computers OU disable and user configuration link users OU enable. the user, which is a member of users OU, logon a computer, which is a member of computers OU. Based on my test, user configuration will win.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:58 AM

All replies

• User configuration applies only to logged on users, where as computer policy will apply to the computer which means whoever user logs onto the machine will get the policy applied.

Regards, MC Manikandan

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:07 AM
  • I understand that.....is there no other difference besides what you mentioned?

Thanks

Taranjeet Singh

zamn

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:10 AM
  • Request others to share their views please.

zamn

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:08 AM
  • Hi Singh,

You could use User Configuration in Group Policy to set policies that apply to users, regardless of which computer they log on to.

With Computer Configuration in Group Policy, you could set policies that are applied to computers, regardless of who logs on to the computers.

If there is conflict, such as: computer configuration link computers OU disable and user configuration link users OU enable. the user, which is a member of users OU, logon a computer, which is a member of computers OU. Based on my test, user configuration will win.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:58 AM