none
Multi Project not re-scheduling RRS feed

• Question

• Strange Problem, I have a master plan, if I extend the duration of any activity in a sub project while it is open in the master plan, any relevant successors do not move even though there is a FS relationship between them.

Everything works fine if I make the same changes to same activity in the sub project in isolation.

Problem only occurs when open in Master, which defeats object of master plan. May be a simple settings error or something, as it has worked OK in past, any ideas?

Thanks.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 11:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This may happen when links between projects create a circular relationship. If you have links between the projects, delete them one by one till calculation returns to normal.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by bouncer3000 Friday, March 2, 2012 12:40 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

what happens if you hit "F9" for recalculation? Maybe, your Master schedule is not set to auto-calculation?

Check in 2010: File - Options - Schedule - Calculation
    Check in 2007: Tools - Options - Calculation - Calculation Mode.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, March 1, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Thanks Barbara, but yes I have double checked and plan is definately in auto schedule mode. Tried f9 anyway but makes no difference.
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

I can only reproduce this with following: Having a constraint with "Not Later than" + Warnings disabled. So having a scheduling conflict, which stops Project from moving task, but without telling me because of disabled warnings.

Perhaps someone else has more ideas?
    Barbara

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

This may happen when links between projects create a circular relationship. If you have links between the projects, delete them one by one till calculation returns to normal.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by bouncer3000 Friday, March 2, 2012 12:40 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Ian,

This does appear to be the problem, I am getting a warning when I open the multi project regarding problem link. However I did not think MSP allowed circular relationships to be added?  is there no simple way of finding where the rouge link is? the master plan is quite big.

Thanks very much for your help.

Friday, March 2, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

Project protects you from entering circular relations... EXCEPT (unfortunately) in two cases:

- In a single project, links between summary tasks and a circular relation come about when you drag a task into a different summary task. Then you get a warning but the action is not undone!

- When circular relationships come about by linking tasks in different projects.

I'm afraid there is no "easy" way but the above may at least speed up the search.

First, and I'm aware that this is not probably not the case for you, if you have the non-calcuation problem in a single project, eliminate the links between summary tasks. The problem will be gone

Second, in a master file, when you know the problem is not in a subproject file, eliminate links between tasks in different projects till the problem goes away. Links between projects are easy to recognize: when looking at he predecessors and/or successors columns, the length of the address of the linked project makes the text stand out. Note that linlks to and from summary tasks still are teh first suspects.

Greetings,

Friday, March 2, 2012 5:40 PM