Vista Home Prem. SP2 install failure RRS feed

• Question

• Installation proceeds OK till the very end (3 of 3, 100%), then an error message that the installation didn't take place and a reverting to the previous setup is initiated. However, the latter is unsuccessful!! MSinfo shows SP2 installed; Updater shows SP2 install pending; and, I'm left with a system that boots every time with a 3 of 3, 0% install message and shuts down with another install related message. In the mean time some programs (Google Earth, Solitaire) no longer work. I'm getting a window outline only. the inside is transparent to the desktop.

I tried System Restore. The result is an error message (0x80070057). 
    I tried to uninstall the update. Error message "An error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled.

I checked my boot drive and was down to 4.5 Gigs. Could it be that at some point I ran out of space?

Then I dowloaded the stand-alone version. But it installed starting with 3 of 3, 0% just like all all my boots now! And gave me an error message (0x800f082f)

I'm now down to 2 Gigs free.

The error reporting file is 12.8 Gigs!! Can/should that be deleted? I did send in a 85 item error report to MS yesterday. Please advise,

John V 

Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:03 AM

Answers

• I just happened to have a similar problem. Error message 0x800f082f when trying to upgrade to Vista SP2 through Windows Update . My problem was that the install was unsuccessful, which resulted in the following situation:
    1) Vista worked, but as SP1 in System Info
    2) The attempt to uninstall the update led to an error and was unsuccesful
    3) Whenever turning on or shutting down the PC I would get a screen with Vista saying it was installing an update, but that would not happen
    4) Windows update continued showing an update missing (but with fewer Mb than the original install)
    5) sfc /scannow would not work properly any longer
    6) ms suggested solutions would not work (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366/ )
    7) all restore points had vanished

The solution that eventually worked consisted in :
    1) synchronizing the system clock with time.windows.com (see related posts on "rearming" Vista)
    2) deleting the PendingRenames folder and its contents in C:\windows\winsxs\temp\
    3) deleting the xxxx.xml file from C:\windows\winsxs\ folder
    4) rebooting the system until all update install messages disappear
    5) uninstalling the update (this time it worked)
    6) reinstalling sp2 with the downloaded installer rather than using windows update

Hope this helps anybody experiencing the same issue .
    • Proposed as answer by EarendilStar Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by greeneven Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:13 AM
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for all your effort in improving Vista SP2. Can you please update us with following information so as to dig this issue further:-

1) What is value shown in "Hardware Abstraction Layer" of msinfo32?
    2) Did Google Earth and Solitaire was working fine on SP1?
    3) Did you try booting into safemode ?
    4) Also I see that your hard drive space is getting eaten up while installation.What is this error reporting file and where it is stored ?

Thanks,
    Sachin
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Could you please zip following files and send it to sachin.trivedi@live.com:

%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*

%windir%\WindowsUpdate*.log

%windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log

%windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if exists)

%windir%\winsxs\pending.* (if exists)

%windir%\Performance\WinSAT\Datastore\*.*

%windir%\System32\winevt\Logs\application.evtx

Also kindly send the error file you are talking about if it is not in the above list of files.

Thanks,
    Sachin
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for all your effort in improving Vista SP2. Can you please update us with following information so as to dig this issue further:-

2) Did Google Earth and Solitaire was working fine on SP1?
    4) Also I see that your hard drive space is getting eaten up while installation.What is this error reporting file and where it is stored ?

Thanks,
    Sachin
    Thanks for the prompt attention Sachin.
    1) 6.0.6002.18005
    2) Yes, they were working fine.
    3) Not yet.
    4) The item "System queued Windows Error Rreporti..." comes up from the (c:) Properties window in Explorer, after "Disk Cleanup" is clicked, as a deletable files item.  No indication as to where they are stored, but its total is up to 13.1 Gigs as off this morning. 

John V  

Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:32 PM
  • Could you please zip following files and send it to sachin.trivedi@live.com:

%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*

Also kindly send the error file you are talking about if it is not in the above list of files.

Thanks,
    Sachin
    I just did that, but being 9.24 MB, and with encoding becoming too big for the 10MB limit I have with my ISP, it's split in two.

The queued error reporting files don't appear to be in the above package, but aside from size limitations I would have to know their location before sending.

Thanks again,

John V
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:19 PM
  • I have a similar problem, I have a Toshiba Qosmio, with Vista Ultimate SP1,  when installing SP2, it went through the 3 steps correctly without errors, then rebooted, and crashed during boot.
    I cannot even get booted into save mode to repair.

What do I do? re-install??

Hope not

Andy B
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Are you sure you cannot boot in safe mode? I was convinced it hung on me too, until I noticed some disk activity after perhaps 10 min.  It took another 10 or so with only intermittent signs of life, but eventually I got the "welcome" screen. It didn't improve things for me, but it might for you.

John V  
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:50 PM
  • I have the some same error of greeneven on sp2 install:

"Installation proceeds OK till the very end (3 of 3, 100%), then an error message that the installation didn't take place and a reverting to the previous setup is initiated. However, the latter is unsuccessful!! MSinfo shows SP2 installed; Updater shows SP2 install pending; and, I'm left with a system that boots every time with a 3 of 3, 0% install message and shuts down with another install related message."
    "I tried System Restore. The result is an error message (0x80070057)."
    "I tried to uninstall the update. Error message "An error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled."

6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

Yes

I will try to send:

%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*

Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:42 AM
  • Hi Sachin,
    It's been a month now, since I first encountered my SP2 install problem. Did you give up on 
    salvaging my set-up, or is it still being worked on?

In the mean time, Solitaire and Google Earth spontaneously came back to life; so at least all my 
    app's seem to work OK now, but no change in booting and shutdown messaging. At one time I could 
    also access "System Restore" again, but no restore points before the aborted SP2 install! At the 
    moment, I'm again getting the same error message as before. 

sfc.exe returns: "system repair pending - reboot and run again; etc....

At times my system slows down to a crawl, lasting many minutes. (My system's mem. is 2.5 Gigs.) 
    Much of it seems WER related and this must be when the multi-gig queued files are generated.  When 
    I click on: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue, I notice an incessant output of 
    reports. 

regedit.exe (setting WER disable value to 1) has _no effect_.  Data gathering is still going on, up 
    to 14.7 Gigs (about 2 compressed). I disabled some other values in that list from their defaults - 
    it made no difference. Is there another regedit dir covering the "gathering" (rather than the 
    "reporting")? As soon as I "disk clean" the reports out, it starts all over again and I would have 
    to shut down to preserve the freed-up space for a possible re-install of the OS. 

Another problem cropped up. I had to replace my mouse and even though it seems to function fine, 
    Windows keeps on "Found New Hardware" every time I boot. Then, after I click to install and then 
    check its progress, the installer is forever checking "windows updates" for a driver. Eventually I 
    get an error message that although driver software was found, it couldn't be installed because 
    "Access is denied". But when I check the "Driver File Details" of the Mouse Properties through the 
    Control Panel, I see that "mouclass.sys" and "mouhid.sys" ver. 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-
    2205) are indeed installed and that this "Unknown device" is working properly. 

It's a generic HID-compliant USB optical mouse without a supplied driver and only a model #, CM-
    410; so the MS suggestion to check for mfg. support is not available to me. Mind you it works OK, 
    unless I click on "Don't show this message again - a driver for this particular device will not be 
    installed"; then I'm without a mouse but only after a resumption from hibernation. Annoying, but 
    canceling that message pop-up a couple of times at each boot is actually the least of my problems.

Also, seemingly because the SP2 update never completed, no other new updates can ever be found and initiated!

All in all enough woes to have made me try to reinstall the OS last week. Because I need to 
    preserve my app. files, I chose the upgrade option and downloaded some necessary update files. Then 
    a hiccup; I needed 8 Gigs free and was a couple short. I made those up by compressing all but the 
    Windows dir on C:. But now I find the "upgrade" option is disabled and I can no longer reinstall!! 
    Was this because of the compression or could there be some other reason? Can I safely move the dirs 
    over to D: temporarily, or could that get me into trouble? Why can't the (re)install program find 
    the needed space temporarily elsewhere? Putting the onus on the enduser to delete seems a cop-out 
    to me; making things slightly easier for yourselves, but often quite difficult for us. 
    It is afterall a _re_install procedure we're talking about and not an additional one!!  

My Windows dir is currently 14.4 Gigs. Are there any MS files/dirs that could be safely deleted 
    beforehand, to make room? Or for that matter afterwards, as I don't want to be left with a bunch of 
    useless "Old" stuff on my relatively small HDD taking up space. Both C: and D: are 33 Gigs. 
    Thanks in advance for your advice,

John V
    • Proposed as answer by EarendilStar Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:27 AM
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:17 PM
  • I just happened to have a similar problem. Error message 0x800f082f when trying to upgrade to Vista SP2 through Windows Update . My problem was that the install was unsuccessful, which resulted in the following situation:
    1) Vista worked, but as SP1 in System Info
    2) The attempt to uninstall the update led to an error and was unsuccesful
    3) Whenever turning on or shutting down the PC I would get a screen with Vista saying it was installing an update, but that would not happen
    4) Windows update continued showing an update missing (but with fewer Mb than the original install)
    5) sfc /scannow would not work properly any longer
    6) ms suggested solutions would not work (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366/ )
    7) all restore points had vanished

The solution that eventually worked consisted in :
    1) synchronizing the system clock with time.windows.com (see related posts on "rearming" Vista)
    2) deleting the PendingRenames folder and its contents in C:\windows\winsxs\temp\
    3) deleting the xxxx.xml file from C:\windows\winsxs\ folder
    4) rebooting the system until all update install messages disappear
    5) uninstalling the update (this time it worked)
    6) reinstalling sp2 with the downloaded installer rather than using windows update

Hope this helps anybody experiencing the same issue .
    • Proposed as answer by EarendilStar Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by greeneven Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:13 AM
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:29 AM
  • Hi,

I got the same problem during installation of SP2. While I was trying EarendilStar's solution, I cannot delete the PendingRenames folder and the xml files. Even though I login as Administrator, it still claims that I don't have the right to access the files. Can anybody help me with this?
    Thank you.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:33 AM
  • Did you try deleting through the cmd prompt as an Aministrator? I had the same problem trying it through Windows. Actually, I didn't think of the prompt before myself and out of frustration I used a USB pendrive Puppy Linux installation to delete the file and folders. HTH,

John V
    Monday, July 13, 2009 6:31 PM