none
Max No Of Servers RRS feed

• Question

• I have a tape drive connected to a server which is running Data Protection Manager. I want to be able to backup data from 15-20 other servers to the tape drive connected to that server.

Is there a maximum number of servers which can be backed up by the server attached local tape drive, or is it unlimited? Having not used DPM before, I expect that it works like other 'traditional' backup applications such as BackupExec, NetBackup etc ie I set the server with the tape drive connected to as a 'media server'.  Is there a config guide available?

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not sure what those 15-20 server are.  Are they A) production servers you want to have backed up to tape individually, or are they B) DPM Servers that want to share the tape library ?

If A - DPM does not work that way. The DPM agent installed on the protected servers can only communicate with the agent on the DPM server protecting it and does not have direct access to the tape library.  You need to add protection for the 15-20 servers on the DPM server, and have DPM backup the servers data to the locally attached tape library on the DPM server.

If B - Then we do support tape library sharing between DPM servers.  I'm not aware of any hard limit, but there would need to be enought drives and slots to accomodate all the DPM server requirements of free tapes to use for backups when scheduled.

Set up tape library sharing
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758124.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:42 PM