none
Registry update through group policy works partially

Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to enable the following registry key on all clients using group policy so i used the update option and kept the information below

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Identity\EnableADAL

REG_DWORD

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Identity\Version

REG_DWORD

The the second registry key (Version) was deployed successfully on my test computer but the first one (EnableADAL) won't deploy.

Can anyone please help shed some light on what i am missing.

Monday, April 25, 2016 9:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Please notice that you can only apply HKCU Settings, configured in user configuration. So make sure linking the GPO to a OU, where a user is inside, not only a computer.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 29, 2016 7:06 AM

All replies

• > group policy so i used the update option and kept the information below

Both in the same GPO?

Monday, April 25, 2016 11:17 AM
  • Yes, both in the same GPO.

Monday, April 25, 2016 11:27 AM
  • > Yes, both in the same GPO.

Then you might create a RSoP report (gpresult /h report.html) and check
    if there's a conflicting GPO that deletes the key (assuming you do not
    use item level targeting for these keys).

Monday, April 25, 2016 12:44 PM
  • Hi,

You could try to deploy the registry setting that failed to apply before with a new GPO and check if the issue persists.

Besides, the output of either the gpresult /h command or the Resultant Set of Policy Tool (RSoP) from one of the server computers where you expect the policy to apply will help you out troubleshooting this. You should be looking to see that the newly-created GPO is being applied in either of those tools' output.

You should also be looking over the Event Log (Application and System) for Group Policy application related errors.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:45 AM
  • Its looks like the group policy did not deploy at all. I made changes to the one i thought deployed successfully and it did not work at all. This has to do with the new modern authentication.

Is it possible that this settings is a known issue? i noticed on a few blogs that some users are also experiencing the same thing deploying this through group policy.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Please notice that you can only apply HKCU Settings, configured in user configuration. So make sure linking the GPO to a OU, where a user is inside, not only a computer.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, April 29, 2016 7:06 AM
  • > Its looks like the group policy did not deploy at all. I made changes to

As posted before - create a RSoP report on an affected client/user...

Friday, April 29, 2016 7:11 AM