none
Client Computer Backups after Upgrade from Server 2012 R2 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I'm preparing to upgrade a Server 2012 R2 Essentials machine with a few years of client computer backups to Server 2016 Essentials.

I have not been able to find any clear answer as to whether the client computer backups will still be usable after the server upgrade and the client connectors have been reinstalled.

If I upgrade the server, do the old backups become useless now?  

Friday, March 9, 2018 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my reaearch, when we backup client computers on Windows Server Essentials Dashboard side, the backup data file directory is C:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups. From the article below, when migrating Windows Server Essentials, the Client Computer Backup folder cannot be migrated to the Destination Server. It is recommended that before the server migration, make sure that all the client computers are healthy. After the server migration, configure and start client computer backups to ensure that the data is backed up for all important client computers. The detailed information as below:
    ================
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/migrate/step-4--move-settings-and-data-to-the-destination-server-for-windows-server-essentials-migration#BKMK_CopyData 

Hope the information can be helpful. Thanks very much for your understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards,

Frank Song

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 12, 2018 7:59 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:29 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Monday, March 19, 2018 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Frank

Friday, March 23, 2018 8:05 AM