Installing program error RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install a scanning software package on a Sony computer running Vista Business. Everytime the software intaller gets to the point where it would place objects into the Documents and Settings folders it errors out. The errror states the path is too long (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users). The program works on Vista as I have installed on other computers fine (from the same CD). It appears the redirection to Users is not occurring. I have selected run as administrator as well as run in XP compatability mode to no avail. I have also enabled the actual administrator account and used it. I have also turned on and off UAC. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:42 PM

Answers

• Hi

I'm not sure why this install program would not work on one specific computer?

The target of the  'Documents and Settings\All Users' symbolic link  is actually  C:\ProgramData. If this folder is still in it's original location, there should not be any problems?

You might want to check with the maker of that software for any known compatibility issues.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

------------------------------------
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:21 PM

All replies

• Hi

I'm not sure why this install program would not work on one specific computer?

The target of the  'Documents and Settings\All Users' symbolic link  is actually  C:\ProgramData. If this folder is still in it's original location, there should not be any problems?

You might want to check with the maker of that software for any known compatibility issues.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

------------------------------------
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Thank you for your suggestion. Sorry it took so long to get back. I have been buried and this account is over 50 miles from my office. I will be going out this week to check on the location of c:\ProgramData. I am also going to install SP1 as these 2 systems won't get it from auto updates. I agree it is strange that it is only on these 2 Sony computers. I have used the same CD on other Vista systems with no problems at all.

Thanks Again

Monday, October 27, 2008 5:02 PM
  •  

I just wanted to follow up on this issue. I went out and verified the path you reported and it was present. I did SP1 and that didn't help eihter. It appears there is something underlying in the OS on these two computers causing this problem. I have used the same software and the very same CD to install on several other Vista systems with no problems what so ever. Thanks again for the help.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 11:47 PM