Request Timed Out error while creating new web application in moss RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

when ever  i am trying to create a new web application through Central Admin in MOSS, i get a strange error as "Request Timed Out."

Tried a lot of things but no use.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 15, 2011 10:56 AM pressure removed. just post a question
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 15, 2011 10:57 AM admin q not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Manibal,

Have you tried to create web app via command line? if tried already whats the error ?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263040(office.12).aspx

Also check if th web.config file is available or missing in the location or not \Program files\Common files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\Template\Admin ? In case the file is missing copy the file from another sharepoint site location and try once again.

Thanks,

Raj

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Manibal,

Have you tried to create web app via command line? if tried already whats the error ?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263040(office.12).aspx

Also check if th web.config file is available or missing in the location or not \Program files\Common files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\Template\Admin ? In case the file is missing copy the file from another sharepoint site location and try once again.

Thanks,

Raj

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:39 AM
  • HI,

What is the error in ULS logs?

I have tried increasing the timeout time and then carrying out the same?

Have you tried using the alternative way of creation of web application through the STSADM command? If not then try carrying out the same .

I hope this will help.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:59 AM
  • Hi Raj,

Thanx for your prompt reply

Indeed web.config file was missing from Admin folder. i copied from another sharepoint server and edited it to include my current server name and it worked like a magic.

Thanx a lot.

Friday, July 15, 2011 8:04 AM
  • hi Rahul,

Tried above everything but to no success but post from raj solved the issue.

Thanx for your reply.

Friday, July 15, 2011 8:06 AM