Custom Screensaver Will Not Work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I built a custom screensaver using a freeware utility that has created a .scr file. It works fine on the Win7 machine it was created on and it works on any WinXP SP3 machine I has tried. It however will not work on any other Win7 or Win8 machine? The preview is blank and it will not operate. Is it possible that this is being blocked by Smartscreen? The .scr file is not signed with a trusted CA, Can anyone advise how Win7 can be configured to run any .scr file?
    Monday, May 5, 2014 11:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you checked other points I mentioned in the first reply, what is the result?

And I also suggest you check the screensaver setting by right click the desktop\Personalize, set the Windows default screensaver and check if it functioning fine in the problematic Windows7/8.

For smartscreen, Windows 7 only has smartscreen filter for IE while Windows 8 has a smartscreen setting in Action Center which can keep the PC's safety from unrecognized app or files downloaded from the Internet. Since this issue happens in both Window 7/8, then I think it should be less related with this setting, but you can turn off it as a test

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We can not guarantee the security safety for screensaver created by a 3rd party freeware utility, but here're some reasons which might cause a screensaver malfunctioning:

For the Photos (pictures) screensaver, remove any videos from the selected folder to keep it from freezing.

The .SCR file (screensaver) was not installed in the C:\Windows\System32 folder by mistake.

or you can manually set the screensaver in registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop  

in the right panel, locate to SCRNSAVE.EXEthe value is the path of the .scr file, make sure the name of the .scr screen saver file does not contain any spaces in it. 

Yolanda Zhu

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:12 AM
  • I have placed the .scr file in the system32 folder however when I try to select it the screen just flashes, the preview also does not work.  Does smartscreen block .scr files by default that are not created on the local machine or signed with a CA?
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:57 AM
  • Hi,

Have you checked other points I mentioned in the first reply, what is the result?

And I also suggest you check the screensaver setting by right click the desktop\Personalize, set the Windows default screensaver and check if it functioning fine in the problematic Windows7/8.

For smartscreen, Windows 7 only has smartscreen filter for IE while Windows 8 has a smartscreen setting in Action Center which can keep the PC's safety from unrecognized app or files downloaded from the Internet. Since this issue happens in both Window 7/8, then I think it should be less related with this setting, but you can turn off it as a test

Yolanda Zhu

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:52 AM