none
How do you determine what the default filename is when you do a SaveAs? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a shcedule that I saved and now I want to save it as a .pdf file, so I go into File, SaveAs and select .pdf in the drop down and the default filename is "document" not what the name of my schedule was.  Where is that set?  How do I make it default to the name of the MS Project Filename?

Thanks,

Casey

Thursday, November 6, 2014 7:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Casey,

if you are using Project 2013 you may wish to consider clicking File>Export>Create PDF - This will allow you to export to PDF using the previously saved File Name.

Cheers

Thursday, November 6, 2014 7:25 PM
  • We actually have not upgraded to Project 2013 yet, we are still using 2010.  We can use the previously saved File Name if we manually type it in the SaveAs box.  It doesn't default to that name.

Thanks,

Thursday, November 6, 2014 8:00 PM
  • Hi Casey,

Which version, SP and CU do you have? Trying with Project 2010 SP1, the original file name is kept whatever extension selected in the "save as" dialog box.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, November 6, 2014 8:05 PM
  • Hi Casey,

As you are using 2010 try using File>Save & Send>Create PDF/XPS Document

I'm unable to recreate your situation on my machine as I have Project 2010 with SP1.  The only thing I can suggest if the above steps do not work, would be to consider upgrading your service pack.  or installing the latest 'Cumulative Update'

Here is a link:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2789671?wa=wsignin1.0

Thanks

Tom

• Proposed as answer by Tom_Henry Monday, November 10, 2014 8:54 PM
    Thursday, November 6, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Casey,

What version of Project are you using? Is it updated with the latest service pack?

I just saved a Project 2010 file, with a file name "Project 2", using File/Save As. I selected the type as PDF Files from the selection list and selected my desktop as the location. The file was saved as PDF with the same file name as the Project file, namely "Project 2".

To answer your question, you set the Save As file name when you in in the Save As window.

John

Thursday, November 6, 2014 8:50 PM