Still not fixed in RTM: Win8 and now Win8.1 messing up the system attribute for history folder in IE ... for roaming users (i.e. BUSINESS USERS!) RRS feed

• Question

• Update: And we're talking RTM here ...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/6418ae13-63c7-44a1-9e97-0ad875a2bd7a/browsing-history-not-being-recorded?forum=ieitprocurrentver#d16f8580-0d2a-40f7-8197-86d232bbaa74

Here is a solution from back then - during the Win8 preview:

Try this ....

Problem:

C:\users\%username%\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows\history is lacking the +S (system attribute)

Test:

> Desktop > File Explorer > \users\appdata\local\Microsoft > Shift+Right Click on Windows Folder > Open new command prompt > attrib History

The result you get back in the command window should read something like this (Note the "S" to left):

S    I    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History

Fix:

> \users\appdata\local\Microsoft > Shift+Right Click on Windows Folder > Open new command prompt > attrib +S History

... and History comes back in IE:

> Desktop > IE to confirm.

Reason:

A Bug in Windows (or Windows 8 ... seen this issue posted quite a few times for Windows 8.

I'm actually able to recreate the issue persistently with domain accounts and roaming profiles on a second login on any Windows 8 system. The issue is there after the local profile has been ("re")created on that system. I don't why it happens ... but it happens every time for domain account.

<input id="d16f8580-0d2a-40f7-8197-86d232bbaa74_attachments" type="hidden" value="" />                
    • Proposed as answer by                             Rory Conway<abbr class="affil"></abbr>                         Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:27 PM                    
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:25 PM

|
    Computermensch

Partner

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm actually able to recreate the issue persistently with domain accounts and roaming profiles on a second login on any Windows 8 system.

Hi,

To be honest, I cannot recreate the issue you referred to. And we need to reappear this problem so that we can provide an effective method for you. So would you please share the detailed way of recreating this issue?

Thanks!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by 暁北 Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:18 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 3:11 AM
  • Same problem with IE 11 on Windows 7 SP1 x64 with roaming users. IE creates the "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\History" folder without the System attribute, which causes History not to be saved.

To reproduce, close IE, delete "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\History", start IE. Observe folder does not have System attribute set and no history is saved. It may be that this only affects users with roaming profiles.

Saturday, June 7, 2014 10:02 PM
  • See the referenced link to the other forum post for details on recreating. I am seeing this too in Windows 8.1 Update, with the latest Windows Updates applied. In this case with Windows Server 2008 R2 domain accounts with roaming profiles, and only roaming profiles.

David

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:52 PM