none
Windows 10 1607 - Force Specific Accent Colors upon 1st Login

Question

• Hi-

I need to find a way to force a specific color scheme when a user first log into a fresh Win 1607 computer. So far, we've tried using Group Policy to enforce the specific gray colors that are available within the Personalize/Colors control panel, and have also tried to inject registry entries into the Default User (NTUser.dat)*. But it keeps defaulting to Blue upon first login. Eventually if Group Policy refreshes, and the user logs off and login, it finally goes to gray. 

How can I configure it so that when a user logs on for the first time, it's set to gray? 

*Using the  SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Accent and SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM keys

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The policy could be used to change the accent color is that Force specific background and accent color located Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization.

After you enable this policy, user cannot change the background and accent color by himself.

And based on my test, if you change the accent color via the personalization settings, this registry would be changed:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SystemProtectedUserData\YourUserAccountSID\AnyoneRead\Colors\StartColor:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SystemProtectedUserData\YourUserAccountSID\AnyoneRead\Colors\AccentColor:

HKU\YourUserAccountSID\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Accent\StartColorMenu:

HKU\YourUserAccountSID\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Accent\AccentColorMenu:

However, if you change their value manually, the accent color cannot change to the corresponding color.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:31 AM