none
DPM2010 Eval -> Release upgrade failed RRS feed

• Question

• I just tried to upgrade our DPM installation from the 2010Eval to the final release version, and it fails with a "Failed to attach database error", error code 4372 I believe. If I try to re-run the setup program it wants to do an Uninstall instead of an upgrade.

Our DPM system is no longer working in this state. Any ideas?

I'll post more exact details later tonight if I get a chance.

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 7:03 AM Moving to DPM Setup Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:58 PM

Answers

• Found this situation where the transaction logs for the Eval version were in a different location than the regular database files.  Make sure the mdf and ldf files for the MSDPM2010EVAL DPMDB are in the same location and the upgrade should work.
    Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Should a Data Protection Manager 2010 EVAL to Data Protection Manager 2010 RTM upgrade fail for any reason, you need to figure out why the upgrade failed by looking at DPM 2010 Setup errors located in the C:\DPMLogs\dpmsetup.log file.  SQL Server may also have details of the failure located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\########_######\Detail.txt file

Once you correct the condition that caused the failure, you will then need to perform the following steps to try the upgrade again.

A) Un-install the failed DPM 2010 RTM upgrade installation.

B) Take offline and rename the original DPM 2010 EVAL SQL database files.

C) Delete the failed DPM 2010 RTM SQL database files.

D) Re-install DPM 2010 EVAL.

E) Restore the saved DPM 2010 EVAL DPM DB files.

F) Retry the upgrade to DPM 2020 RTM again.

Rollback Recovery Steps:

A) Un-install the failed DPM 2010 upgrade installation.

1. Go to Control Panel and under PROGRAMS choose the “Un-install a program” option.
    2. Right-click “Microsoft System Center data Protection manager 2010” and select Uninstall/Change option.
    3. Choose the “Retain disk-based recovery points” option and continue with the uninstallation.

B) Take offline and rename the original DPM 2010 EVAL SQL database files to prepare for clean installation of DPM 2010 EVAL.

1.   On the server hosting the DPM SQL database, Start Microsoft SQL Server management studio for SQL Server 2008 and connect to the  machinename\MSDPM2010EVAl instance.

Navigate to the databases > DPMDB then right-click and look at the properties. Look under the Files and note the location of the files.  Press cancel, then right-click and choose Tasks > Take Offline.

2.  In Explorer or command prompt, navigate to the location of the DPM 2010 EVAL database files and rename them.

EXAMPLE:

CD C:\Program Files\Microsoft dpm\dpm\dpmdb
         Rename MSDPM2010EVAL.mdf   MSDPM2010EVAL.mdf.original
         Rename MSDPM2010EVAL_log.ldf   MSDPM2010EVAL_log.ldf.original

3.  In Microsoft SQL Server management studio -  right-click DPMDB and choose Tasks > Delete
    4.  Exit Microsoft SQL Server management studio for SQL Server 2008.

C) Delete the failed DPM 2010 RTM SQL database.

1.  Start  Microsoft SQL Server management studio for SQL Server 2008 and connect to the machinename\MSDPM2010 instance

Navigate to the databases > DPMDB then right-click and look at the properties. Look under the Files and note the location of the files.  Press cancel, then right-click and choose Tasks > Take Offline.

2. In Microsoft SQL Server management studio -- right-click DPMDB and choose Tasks > Delete.
    3. In Explorer, navigate to the location of the DPM 2010 database files and delete the two database files.

IE: delete C:\Program Files\Microsoft dpm\dpm\dpmdb\MSDPM2010.mdf and MSDPM2010_log.ldf files

4. Exit Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio for SQL Server 2008.

5. REBOOT THE SERVER.

D) Re-install DPM 2010 Evaluation.

1. Start a new installation of DPM 2010 EVAL – it will already detect SQL 2008 is installed and start installing DPM 2010 EVAL.
    2. Once complete, Make sure DPM 2010 Console opens.

E) Restoring original DPM 2010 EVAL SQL database to prepare for upgrade.

1.      Start Microsoft SQL Server management studio for SQL Server 2008 and connect to the machinename\MSDPM2010EVAL instance

2.      Navigate to the databases > DPMDB then right-click and look at the properties. Look under the Files and note the location of the files.  Press cancel, then right-click and choose Tasks > Take Offline.

3.      In Explorer or command prompt, navigate to the location of the DPM 2010 database files and rename them.

Example:

CD C:\Program Files\Microsoft dpm\dpm\dpmdb
    Rename MSDPM2010EVAL.mdf   MSDPM2010EVAL.mdf.fresh
    Rename MSDPM2010EVAL_log.ldf   MSDPM2010EVAL_log.ldf.fresh
    Rename MSDPM2010EVAL.mdf.original   MSDPM2010EVAL.mdf
    Rename MSDPM2010EVAL_log.ldf.original  MSDPM2010EVAL_log.ldf

4.      In Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio for SQL 2008 -- right-click DPMDB and choose Tasks > bring Online.

5.      Exit Microsoft SQL Server management studio for SQL Server 2008.

6.      Start the DPM console and make sure the configuration looks correct for the database just restored.

F) Re-trying the upgrade from DPM 2010 EVAL to DPM 2010 RTM.

1.      Insert the DPM 2010 Media and run the setup.exe in the root.

2.      Select the “Install Data Protection Manager” option – it will start a wizard and will automatically detect your DPM 2010 EVAL installation and perform the upgrade.

3.      Once the upgrade is successful, reboot the DPM Server.

4.      Open the DPM 2010 console and navigate to the Management – Agents tab and refresh all of the protected server’s agents, they should all show OK as the agent code between EVAL and RTM has not changed.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 12:57 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed steps. Unfortunately I had already taken some steps before seeing your reply. What I did in essence was:

Backed up the DPMDB from the new DPM2010 instance; it had copied the DB files but failed to attach them for some reason.

Detached the DPMDB

Uninstalled the DPM2010 install that failed

Reinstalled DPM2010

Restored the DPMDB from backup, choosing to overwrite the existing DB that it had newly created

After this everything looks fine and seems to be working, but I haven't done any thorough tests. If necessary I still have the original EVAL instance DB files.

Friday, June 18, 2010 4:17 AM
  • HI,

Could you mail the %systemdrive%\DPMLOGS\dpmsetup.log to vborra [at] microsoft [dot] com .We want to investigate why database attach failed.

-- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 9:15 AM
  • keeping the issue as un answered as this suggested workaround didn't resolve the customer original issue.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Edited by Praveen D [MSFT] Friday, July 2, 2010 6:40 AM keeping the issue as un answered as this suggested workaround didn't resolve the customer original issue.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 6:38 AM
  • Found this situation where the transaction logs for the Eval version were in a different location than the regular database files.  Make sure the mdf and ldf files for the MSDPM2010EVAL DPMDB are in the same location and the upgrade should work.
    Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Please let me know if thuis does not resolve the issue.
    Regards, Rajeev Narshana [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Thanks for wasting my day Microsoft!!!  I purchased the DPM software and went to upgrade from the EVAL only to be greeted by the update failed message.  Thanks a lot.  I put a lot of time in to configuration and didn't expect to have to start over for a stupid licensing issue.  Don't know why this couldn't be made to input a simple license key into the eval version to unlock the full access.  Sucks for me now.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:16 PM
  • I am about to do a install of the full version over a DPM 2010 evaluation version that's run out.

Can you just install over the top and the existing settings and stores are preserved, or do you need to do something else?

Monday, August 23, 2010 11:40 PM
  • OwenWatson,

If you have installed DPM 2010 Eval, the DPM 2010 Eval has expired – and you did NOT uninstall it.

Solution:

a. If you are using a remote SQL, you can simply run the Upgrade bits and perform an upgrade because SQL should not expire on remote install.
    b. If you are using a local SQL instance then:
       i. Make a note of the SQL instance name, then take a backup of the DPMDB or copy DPMDB ldf and mdf files and attach the files after the instance is re-installed in step iii. below.
       ii. uninstall the SQL instance being used by DPM.
       iii. From the DPM installation media run the SQL installer and manually install an evaluation edition of SQL with the same name noted in i. 
       iv. Attach the DB saved in step i. above to this instance .
       v. Now run the DPM 2010 RTM setup to upgrade.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Many thanks. SQL is local. I checked with SQL Server Management Server 2008R2 (the only SQL management software I have) and couldn't see any SQL instances listed apart from what I had created for other purposes (I did a browse of local data sources). Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:14 AM
  • HI,

Yes, from control panel - uninstall programs, select Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (64-bit) and then uninstall.  Select remove option.  Go through the wizard and in the "instance to remove features from:" dropdown, select the msdpm2010 (or if you used customer instance, that instance name).   Make a copy of or rename the msdpm2010.mdb and .ldf files before uninstalling.

Note: DPM cannot be installed on a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance, so be sure to install non-R2 SQL 2008 in step iii.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:11 PM
  • I'm using SQL Server Studio 2008 R2 for another program; that won't wreck it for that, will I?
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Hi ,

Typically not you can have different versions of SQL on the same system, however check your SQL Server 2008 R2 documentation for any possible gotchas before proceeding.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:28 PM