SCCM Agent Install \ Deployment query? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I have a query regards best practices.  Within our environment we will have a number of Build Environments (all within the same domain), which will involve servers being built, decommissioned and rebuilt for application testing teams.

Query is how best to handle the install\life-cycle of the SCCM Agent with regards to this scenario?

Just looking to see if others have had experience of this type of scenario and best practices \ experiences etc

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Andrew

Monday, August 4, 2014 9:52 AM

Answers

• No one said that there were no best practices for Configuration Manager. On the contrary, if you look at the product docs on TechNet, you will find lots of them for feature areas.

The comments were in regards to a best practice for this one. You'd have to check the docs to see if there is one listed there, however, even if so, it may not be the way you want to handle this scenario in your environment.

If you can deinstall the old computer before reimaging it, and delete it from the ConfigMgr console, it can make it easier to reimage it. However, if it is the same computer, it's not that big of a deal. The new computer should acquire the old computer's identity in the site.

Wally Mead

• Marked as answer by Andrew_Tiernan Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:47 PM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:20 PM

All replies

• What do you want to handle exactly?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, August 4, 2014 10:39 AM
  • "Best Practice" is a worthless statement as that implies that there is actually a "best" way to do something which is not applicable for something this generic. The TechNet documentation contains all of the methods for installing the agent; you should be pick one or multiple and see how it works for you. There are multiple methods because different environments have different restrictions, limitations, and idiosyncrasies and thus only you can determine what's best for your environment. "Best" here is whatever works for you and without knowing anything about your environment, there's really not much folks can say.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, August 4, 2014 1:38 PM
  • I would agree with Jason. With Configuration Manager, there are often many different ways to get a task completed. While you will find people that prefer one way over another, that does not mean that it is a best practice, just that this is the way they learned, and like, to do it.

you try the various ways, and see which then becomes your 'best practice'. And remember, that you likely will switch between methods at time. For example, you may decide that applications are the best way to distribute software. However, you may then find that a package is better suited for a specific piece of software, and switch for that one.

Wally Mead

Monday, August 4, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Thank you for your replys Jason and Wally,

I guess 'best practice' was the wrong phrase to use in this case.  However across the other System Center applications a number of best practices have become established for a certain scenarios\processes, and I was looking to see if a similar approach had become established for the scenario outlined.  However on reflection I appreciate SCCM is a product that has enormous flexibility with regards to the variety of environments and the complexity of scenarios it is able to accommodate\handle. Thus as you say, 'best practices' are not that realistic in general.

With regards to the scenario mentioned, we have 'x' number of development environments which will be provisioned via VMM Service Templates, via SCSM and SCORCH automation.  With the first number of rebuilds the Server names will not be the reused, but after 'x' number of rebuilds the server names will be cycled\reused.  After further digging\reading I believe a scripted approach would be best, along with a separate method of cleaning out old server names from within SCCM itself.  The main concern is when a server names get reused, it may still be in the SCCM database, but the new Server (with same name) has a new SID; which I believe would\could introduce issues.

Although I guess, with all that said, the most elegant\simple approach would be to have a clean uninstall of the SCCM agents whenever a development environment is decommissioned?

Kind Regards

Andrew

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:09 PM
  • No one said that there were no best practices for Configuration Manager. On the contrary, if you look at the product docs on TechNet, you will find lots of them for feature areas.

The comments were in regards to a best practice for this one. You'd have to check the docs to see if there is one listed there, however, even if so, it may not be the way you want to handle this scenario in your environment.

If you can deinstall the old computer before reimaging it, and delete it from the ConfigMgr console, it can make it easier to reimage it. However, if it is the same computer, it's not that big of a deal. The new computer should acquire the old computer's identity in the site.

Wally Mead

• Marked as answer by Andrew_Tiernan Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:47 PM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:20 PM
  • For sure re the best practices, understood it was with regards to this aspect.  Thank you again for your input \ thoughts Wally.

Kind Regards

Andrew

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:47 PM