none
DPM 2012 Tape Expiry Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have 6 Protection groups with the following Long-Term Recovery Goals:

7 years | backup frequency - weekly

My assumption with this is that I'll get the following tapes

• 1 every week which expires in four weeks (Saturday at 11:00PM)
    • 1 every month which expires in twelve months (Day 1, at 11:00PM)
    • 1 every year which expires in seven years (January 1, at 11:00PM)

The problem that I am having is that my Expiry dates for tapes which I wish to take offsite (the monthly and yearly tapes) do not match the goals. As an example I have a backup which ran May 1st and required two tapes. All data on one of the tapes expires 01/05/2013, however on the other tape three replicas expire on 01/05/2013, and the remaining replicas expire 30/04/2019!

I have also gone through the other tapes which are ready for offsite, and many of them contain replicas backed up on May 1st of this year which do not expire until April 30th 2019, or May 1st of 2019!!

I have double and triple-checked that every protection group has the same retention goals. I did not experience these problems with DPM 2010.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:05 PM

All replies

• I have also just double-checked that under the co-location settings the "Don't allow backups of different retention periods to co-locate on same tape" option is checked.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:29 PM
  • HI,

I tried to duplicate your behavior, but could not, each backup goal went in seperate tapes.  What are your settings for the expiry options ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 9:46 PM
  • I've waited a few weeks to see if my month end tapes had the same issue again. Once again on June 1st 2012 at 11:00PM my replicas were backed up to a tape that expires in 12 months (expected), and a tape that expires in 7 years (not expected). It appears that I am getting a tape that expires after 7 years everytime a month end backup runs.

It seems like the DPM database has some sort of bug.

My Expiry Tolerance and Write Period are both set for 7 days.

Friday, June 8, 2012 3:17 PM