none
A couple things RRS feed

• Question

• So I just got promoted to this job at work and they want me to rework our schedule.

We have about 20 projects going on at a time, and they're LONG...full of tasks and subtasks and subsubtasks.

Right now they use resources as a label and nothing else. they manually type in how many days each part takes, and they'll put in the hours from the Estimate for each task, but they do this in a custom field that does absolutely nothing.

So I'm going to start fresh with a new project and actually use the resources. The (first) problem is, I don't have the name of every person in the shop and I don't know how many people are back there. What I DO know is the hours for each DEPARTMENT. So instead of having a resource for each employee, I'd rather have one for each department and just have it so that they can work a certain amount of hours per week/day that far exceeds the usual 8/40.

I thought at first I'd try just making the max work 500% (500% of 40 is 200), but that acted funny..it wouldn't just trim down the duration of a task unless I manually assigned a percentage of work to it from the resource, rather than just knowing 'if i assign machining to this task, it always works at 500% and I would like for it to calculate the duration based on that'.

I hope this all makes sense. Can anyone tell me what the best way to do this is?

Thanks.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:38 PM

All replies

• If 500% is your max units (represents 5 FTE) then the default assignment will be 500%. So yes, when assigning a resource you need to enter units. Having a generic resource that is your department name is OK provided everyone in the department has the same skills. If they don't, then create Generice resource names based on skills.

You won't be able to level resource workloads unless you know how many resource you actually have dedicated to your projects.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:14 PM
  • I may not have explained very well.

Simplest example I can come up with:

There's 1 task that requires 40 work hours. My assembly department, which has a max work of 500%, should be able to do this in one day. If I assign assembly to the task, auto-schedule, and level, it still takes 5 days.

How can I make it so that they can be auto-assigned 500% without me manually telling it to schedule them at 500%?

Friday, August 22, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Werdnaegni,

The term "auto-schedule" mode in Project simply means that Project will dynamically calculate the schedule based on task durations, task dependencies, work effort and assignment units. Project's leveling feature is designed to help alleviate overallocated resources by moving tasks based on priority. It does not change assignment units.

Simply put, Project does NOT have an "auto-assignment" feature. That function must be performed by the project manager since there are just too many "soft" variables involved in managing human resources and schedule dynamics. An auto-assign algorithm could probably be developed but it would be very complex.

John

Friday, August 22, 2014 3:01 PM