IE Proxy Problem? RRS feed

• Question

• So I've been having a problem with one partictular computer on our network. Before wiping it out and reinstalling I figured I would try here. 

The problem is that this computer can get to the intranet using Automatically Detect Settings, but for some reason will not get outside to any internet sites, it just times out.  Here are a few notable things:

Manually entering proxy settings allows access to the internet, however I then have local intranet authentication issues.(Login prompts for redirects is one example)

I've checked with out network team and they say there are no rules or restrictions on this PC or the network port.

This started on IE6, I then tried IE 7 and IE8 and they all have the same problem.

I've been told there are no group policy or AD restrictions on this computer. I verified this by making sure the computer was in the same OU as another one next to it that works fine.

I've tried another network connection from a known working device right next to it that is working fine on IE8 and set to automatically detect settings.

I've deleted computer from AD entirely and rejoined the domain.

I've tried flushing DNS settings and have double checked the DNS entries.

I've tried resetting the winsock via NETSH Windsock Reset

Now the interesting thing, and why I think this is strictly a problem with IE is that Google Chrome, works perfectly fine with automatically detect settings, no internet or intranet issues. Unfortunately we have to use IE for many reasons in my company.

If anyone has any other ideas or knows of check list I could run through to ensure intenet access via IE, that would be excellent.

Thanks,

Josh

Monday, February 7, 2011 2:18 PM

All replies

• Long shot but here we go...

Did you try a different user profile? Create a new user profile and try IE from that one to see if it works. If works fine then you have your answer...

Good Luck!

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Monday, February 7, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I've tried that as well, no luck.

Monday, February 7, 2011 4:46 PM
  • try installing the (ISA client proxy) server then.
    Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:58 PM