Connect VPN client via "Log on using dial-up connection RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user that is housed inside a local government agency's offices as a liason.  When she was first posted there I set her computer up to use the Cisco client to VPN back into my network during startup.  Due to a recent problem with her machine, it has been replaced.  I want the same functionality the old machine had, but I am running into a stumbling block.

I can set the Cisco VPN client to start when windows starts, and it is ready to connect at the logon GINA.  There is a step I am missing that made it available as an option when I put the checkmark in "Log on using dial-up connection"

Now when you select "Log on using dial-up connection", an error pops up stating "There are no connections available to all users.  You must log on before dialing.  Unfortunately I didn't document the procedure the first time I did it, violating my own mantra I preach to my technicians 'If you didn't document it, you didn't do it.'

Anyone have any suggestions?

Monday, November 29, 2010 10:03 PM

All replies

•   The dialup connection must be configured for all users, not just for a particular user. Otherwise it is not available for "logon using a dialup connection".

Bill
    Monday, November 29, 2010 11:40 PM
  • I apologize for not being clear.  In this instance I am not using a DUN VPN configuration, but the actual Cisco VPN client.  When configuring a Microsoft VPN through the New Connection Wizard, the option exists for only me/all users. 

There are a couple of options in the Cisco client that let it start with Windows and accept the user/pass input to the Windows logon GINA to start the tunnel at logon.

When you put the checkmark in the box for Log on using dial-up connection, I had the option to choose the Cisco VPN Client.  There was an intermediate step I am just not remembering, between installing the client and selecting Log on using dial-up connection, that made it available for the logon process to use.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:37 PM
  •   No idea, but I suspect it must be in the config of the Cisco VPN client. With the Microsoft client all you need to do is configure the connection for all users.

Bill
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:22 PM