migrating 2008 r2 hyperV cluster to 2012 r2 hyperV cluster RRS feed

• Question

• hello friends i  know this has been discussed a lot ... but as i am running a production system with loads of clients on it with critical data i will take this as isolated setup.

guys i need your help to migrate this where chances are i will have to create the AD also again as current AD is 2008 r2 and with loads of very old entries...but if this makes things complex.. then i will simply upgrade the AD to 2012 r2 ...i am looking for the step by step instruction on this so that i will not have dowmtime for my clients.

other things workloads which i am running are several exchange servers (Service provider company)/ AD / file servers running on 2008/ 2008 r2 and 2012... so if i will move them to 2012 then integration tools will also change and i recently has a bad experience when i migrated my few vms from 2008r2 hosts to 2012 r2 cluster ... and i had to upgrade the integration tools.. it took ages and i landed up with one Vm crashing the OS and on top of that it was exchange. So what are your views on this..

can this team plz help me with above two queries.. one is step by step instructions and other is integration tools

Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

• Edited by 'Jatin' Monday, October 31, 2016 5:55 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 4:34 PM

Answers

• " i will have to create the AD also again as current AD is 2008 r2 and with loads of very old entries...but if this makes things complex.. then i will simply upgrade the AD to 2012 r2 ...i am looking for the step by step instruction on this so that i will not have dowmtime for my clients."

Simply build a 2012 R2 (or better yet, 2016) server, join it to the domain, and promote it to a domain controller.  Then you can seize the FSMO roles to this new DC and retire your 2008 R2 server when you feel comfortable with the new DC.  Recommended to have at least two DCs.  You will have to manually delete the 'very old entries', whatever that means, if you don't want them.  This process will not have any impact at all on the clients. 

You don't state what version of Exchange you are running, but you will have access to more Exchange experts in a forum focused on Exchange.  This forum is for general questions about clustering - not the specific applications that are clustered.  Here is the forum for highly available Exchange discussions - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, November 7, 2016 9:28 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by 'Jatin' Monday, November 7, 2016 9:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by 'Jatin' Monday, November 21, 2016 5:57 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Jatin,

>>can this team plz help me with above two queries

This is a technical forum, if you need technical support, you could follow this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/contactus81?Audience=Commercial&wa=wsignin1.0

After reading your description, I suppose the safe method for you is building new VMs on 2012 R2, and then migrate the data from old ones to them.

Here are the related guides:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn530779(v=ws.11).aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn530785(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 2:46 AM
  • hi leo .. i need help from forum members only .... to share their experiences and best practice as you did in the last part of your answer. not sure if i understand your safe way method and if that is possible also

it says .. build new VMs...????

and then migrate data...???? is this even possible ...

i thought you would advise me to build a new cluster and then migrate VMs... i have a two node cluster and i dont intend to use another hardware. can i use this hardware only to build new cluster moving all VMs to one host and then evicting one host and then making another cluster .. can you help on this

Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

• Edited by 'Jatin' Tuesday, November 1, 2016 3:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 3:54 AM
  • Hi Jatin,

You mentioned issues caused by upgrading integration services, that's why I said to build new VMs.

>>can i use this hardware only to build new cluster moving all VMs to one host and then evicting one host and then making another cluster

Yes. Evict a node from the old cluster and upgrade it to Windows Server 2012 R2. Then create the new Windows Server 2012 R2 failover cluster, and migrate the VMs to it.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:36 AM
  • hi leo ... what do you mean by build new VMs. as the Vms are already running for clients.. so building i am not able to understand. sorry can you advise a little on this.i thought i will evict ... build new cluster and then share the storage to new cluster removing from old. and then start VM. but i guess its not right as because of integration tools .. can you advise where i am wrong.

Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

• Edited by 'Jatin' Tuesday, November 1, 2016 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 9:31 AM
  • " i will have to create the AD also again as current AD is 2008 r2 and with loads of very old entries...but if this makes things complex.. then i will simply upgrade the AD to 2012 r2 ...i am looking for the step by step instruction on this so that i will not have dowmtime for my clients."

Simply build a 2012 R2 (or better yet, 2016) server, join it to the domain, and promote it to a domain controller.  Then you can seize the FSMO roles to this new DC and retire your 2008 R2 server when you feel comfortable with the new DC.  Recommended to have at least two DCs.  You will have to manually delete the 'very old entries', whatever that means, if you don't want them.  This process will not have any impact at all on the clients. 

You don't state what version of Exchange you are running, but you will have access to more Exchange experts in a forum focused on Exchange.  This forum is for general questions about clustering - not the specific applications that are clustered.  Here is the forum for highly available Exchange discussions - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, November 7, 2016 9:28 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by 'Jatin' Monday, November 7, 2016 9:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by 'Jatin' Monday, November 21, 2016 5:57 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 2:06 PM
  • doing this in my lab will keep open for your help .. plz. will close in another two days if all ok

Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

• Edited by 'Jatin' Monday, November 7, 2016 9:42 AM
    Monday, November 7, 2016 9:41 AM
  • Hi Jatin,

Are there any updates on the issue?

You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 5:20 AM