Display Driver Times Out and causes BSOD? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys. Im running Windows 7 64 Bit on a brand new Acer Aspire laptop. Its about a month old and a few days ago I started getting random blue screens about display drivers timing out. The display adapter says its an AMD Radeon HD 6470M, and it says its up to date. It seems to happen at random times, and first windows Aero will become disabled and it might be able to save itself, or it will just go to blue screen. I uninstalled the Radeon Graphics Controller and every time I try to reinstall from the website it says that it wont work for my computer. Any solutions? Or am I just gonna have to wipe it clean?
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:20 AM

Answers

• With the normal drivers directly from ATI I've never had a problem just installing the new package.  Their installers seem to take care of removing the old one.

But if you really want to try to uninstall, look for ATI / Catalyst in the Programs & Features section of the Control Panel.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:55 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 12:49 PM

All replies

• The display adapter says its an AMD Radeon HD 6470M, and it says its up to date.

It's never a certainty whether you can get display drivers directly from ATI for laptops (some do, some don't), but the WHQL driver you get through Microsoft is usually well out of date.  ATI's Catalyst releases fix a lot of bugs.

I did a quick look...  It appears they think you can get the drivers for your system...  Is this where you looked before?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

-Noel

Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Thats the exact place I looked. I downloaded the file just now and installed and after it did a few things it comes up with this error message "AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer. Your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter."
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:00 PM
  • It's possible the computer maker customized the graphics adapter.  In that case you'll need to look for the driver on the Acer web site.

-Noel

Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:21 PM
  • So on the website from Acer, my exact driver is and AMD VGA Driver (Radeon HD 6650M/6850M), and I am currently downloading it. Im just curious as to why it said that it had a different one when I was in device manager?
    Monday, August 29, 2011 2:47 AM
  • I just have one more question. Do I uninstall the current driver, and then install the new one? How do I do that?
    Monday, August 29, 2011 2:59 AM
  • With the normal drivers directly from ATI I've never had a problem just installing the new package.  Their installers seem to take care of removing the old one.

But if you really want to try to uninstall, look for ATI / Catalyst in the Programs & Features section of the Control Panel.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:55 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

You may try to restore your PC back to defaults. The process of restoring PC to defaults is simple, just hold the [alt] key and press the F10 key right when you turn the PC on to start the recovery program. Check out all the new software that you have installed on your computer, if the software are not genuine and authenticated, remove them, because they may be the cause of problem. Another way is, get in the BIOS and turn of the option of Autostart at system failure.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:33 AM