Watcher Node Configuration in SCOM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All, 

There is a short question i have i am following this link to configure watcher node for SFB Monitoring Skype for Business Server 2015 with SCOM 2012 R2 / SCOM 2016 (Watcher Node) and when i am at the step to configure it i got one concern in my mind ... he has used the below command to configure this and he have only two users in SFB control panel and he has taken both but there are lots of users in my control panel and as well as more than one pool for SFB. How do i configure one watcher node for all users and pools.... please suggest on it i am giving the screenshot of my SFB control panel as well please let me know what i should be the best step :) 

>>>>New-CsWatcherNodeConfiguration -TargetFqdn “FrontEndFQDN” -PortNumber 5061 -TestUsers @{Add= “sip:Testuser1@domain.com“,” sip:Testuser2@domain.com“}<<<<

Screenshot of MY SFB control panel:-

Please let me know if you need any further information from my side

Response and help is highly appreciated !

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.

Monday, April 2, 2018 8:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hey,

lets assume you have 3 different front end pools.

For each of the pools you should create 3 Health accounts, activate and assign them to the appropriate pool. This are normal AD Accounts.

Afterwards configure the watchernode to use these health accounts for the appropriate Front End Pool.
    When you would like to test Enterprise Voice related synthetic transactions you need to activate them for EV aswell.

I would recommend to create 3 users because of the synthetic transactions for conferences.

Example:
    In our deployment we have one FE pool and one Branch Server.

Front End Pool site:
    One Watchernode with 3 Health Accounts  --> Assigned to the FE Pool

Branch site:
    One Watchernode with 3 Health Accounts --> assigned to the Branch Server Pool for testing synthetic transactions from the branch site.

I hope this helps you a bit :)

Greets,
    Markus

Monday, April 2, 2018 10:36 AM
  • Thanks for the reply here, will update you soon here!

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 5:10 AM
  • Sorry due to Easter freeze i was not look on it. but dont worry i will revert here if any issue or help required. 

Will mark the answer soon , no worries sir!

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:04 AM
  • Hi ,

Do you have some updates?if the reply help to you ,please mark the reply as answer.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 16, 2018 9:38 AM
  • Sorry Sir, not yet!

Just allow me 10 more days maximum.

Monday, April 16, 2018 11:40 AM
  • Sir,

Could you help me to get this more in my mind,

What happen if i will not create 3-3 test user for my both pools and i will pick any 3 users that is already in control panel and EV policy and etc. enabled on it then what will happen. 

This will work or not? Do i really need to create test users for it.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 4:08 AM
  • One more thing i want to add here, what happen if i will only 1 use 1 account for one pool not 3 account.

Waiting for your answers!

Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:49 AM
  • Hi GouravIN,

Yes ,please create test users for it.

If you will pick any 3 users(they are not in the same FE pool) that is already in control panel and EV policy and etc. You cannot enable it by New-CsWatcherNodeConfiguration,you must set TargetFqdn correctly for test users.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:09 AM
  • Hi Sir,

Thanks for the replies and support here!

I have created only 1 user for both the pool and run the command on a edge server to configure this as a watcher node but i have got error that i need at least 2 users to configure the same. And i have checked in my SCOM under watcher node tab this is not going to be appear in SCOM.

So i thought i need at least 2 test account  

Below is the screenshot for further:-

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:06 AM
  • Hi GouravIN,

Thanks for your sharing. As you said, I think you may need at least two test accounts.

Based on my research, according the following article, we suggest assign three test users for each pool that you want to test.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/management-tools/use-scom-management-pack/test-users-and-settings

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

• Marked as answer by GouravIN Tuesday, May 29, 2018 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 6:04 AM
  • Hi Sir,

I have asked my team for 2 account at least first. If 2 will not work then we will move towards for 3rd account.

And i have seen this link earlier and now as well, many thanks for it :)

Will keep you update here! 

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:45 AM
  • Ok, waiting for you update.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:58 AM
  • Hi Sir,

I have created 2 account for each pool and i have decided to make watcher node one of the "Enterprise Edition Front End Machine" of the respective pool which are under monitoring now.

And i did same and after running MSi and New-CsWatcherNodeConfiguration cmdlet on it, i could see them under watcher node view in SCOM.

But here is Twist came after all this,

My AD team told me that we need to create watcher node a separate server not a server that are "Enterprise Edition Front End Machine" and already a SFB server.

And they given me this quote "The Watcher Node server needs to be a separate server to Skype for Business therefore install a Server 2012 R2 server (2008 R2 & 2012 are supported also) with the following specifications:"

Please let me know what is the right way to create a watcher node.

Do i really need a new server for this or we can made a "Enterprise Edition Front End Machine" server from pool a watcher node?

Waiting for your revert!

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:07 AM
  • Hey, 

i have followed this guide to install the watchernode:
    http://www.garethjones294.com/monitoring-skype-for-business-server-2015-with-scom-2012-r2-scom-2016-watcher-node/

Also take a look at the blue boxes here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/management-tools/use-scom-management-pack/watcher-nodes

It seems like that you can install the watchernode on a Front End Server but this is not recommended. 

I have installed the watchernodes on separate servers.

Greets,
    Markus

Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:11 PM
  • Hi, 

I have configured watcher node for our 2 pools on 2 new servers but i can see the pools is different name in pools folder of skype and in synthetic transaction folder's pool state the pool name reflecting these differ it is named on those 2 two front end servers name which i have used in this below command :-

New-CsWatcherNodeConfiguration -TargetFqdn “XXXXXSFB01.corp.company.com” -PortNumber 5061 -TestUsers @{Add= “sip:Test1user@comany.com“,” sip:Test2user@company.com“}

Screenshot for further :-

Is it good or did i miss something, Do i need to configure watcher node for all my front end severs using these 2 servers?

Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:56 PM
  • Very Much thanks Sir! :)

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 2:35 PM