PerformancePoint 2010 with SQL 2005. Importing KPI RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all..

I would like to know if there is any know issue with my current configuration. We have an enviroment with SharePoint 2010 and PerformancePoint 2010 with SQL Server 2005, all in the same server with FULL installation.

Everything seems to be working fine, except when trying to import a KPI from SSAS 2005 when creating a dashboard in the designer.

We get an error, and eventviewer shows:

Error 16641.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' 

Microsoft.AnalysisServices, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91'

in Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server.ImportExportHelper.GetImportableAsKpis(DataSource asDataSource)

in Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server.PmServer.GetImportableAsKpis(DataSource dataSource)

I'm just guessing that as the function is trying to use version 10.0.0.0, its expecting SQL 2008 to be installed. Is there anyway to change this configuration and make it to work with SQL 2005??
    Thanks.. Best regards..

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:27 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Do you know if Microsoft.AnalysisServices.dll is installed on the machine?

In order to use this import functionality, the PerformancePoint Server Web Service must reside on a server that also has the Microsoft.AnalysisServices.dll installed - which gets installed with SQL Server Analysis Services 2005.  If this DLL exists on the same server as the PerformancePoint Web Service, then the dashboard designer can import KPIs from any SQL Server Analysis Services server, not just the Analysis Server that resides on the PerformancePoint server.

Without the DLL on the PerformancePoint Server Web Service machine, you will be unable to import KPIs from any Analysis Services server.

I would also check what version this .DLL is and make sure you have the latest build for it.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Averied Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:43 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.. :)

Actually everything is installed on the same machine.. including SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 and PerformancePoint 2010.

I've checked Microsoft.AnalysisServices.dll  is also in the machine, although the version is 9.0.5000.0.

Also, I have 64 bit installation of SQL Server, however, I can see the Microsoft.AnalysisServices.dll is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\SDK\Assemblies, don't know is this is ok.

Anyway, the thing that bothers me is that Dashboard Designer is looking for version 10 of the dll, and SQL 2005 installation puts version 9 in the system. So.. I think if I can get version 10 without a SQL 2008 licence or change DashBoard Designer so that it works with version 9 of the dll, maybe it starts working.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I also installed AMO from the SQL 2008 feature pack, and then I got version 10.0.2531.0 in my system, but still the error is there. I'm guessing DashBoard Designer needs exactly version 10.0.0.0 as I read in a blog (http://prologika.com/CS/blogs/blog/archive/2010/09/07/importing-ssas-kpis-in-performancepoint.aspx) that the issue was fixed installing client components from the SQL Server 2008 DVD, which I don't have a licence for :(

UPDATE 2:

After restarting the server, it started working, so I guess the solution was to install AMO from the SQL 2008 feature pack and restart the server. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction! ISSUE SOLVED!

Best regards!

• Marked as answer by Averied Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:44 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you know if Microsoft.AnalysisServices.dll is installed on the machine?

In order to use this import functionality, the PerformancePoint Server Web Service must reside on a server that also has the Microsoft.AnalysisServices.dll installed - which gets installed with SQL Server Analysis Services 2005.  If this DLL exists on the same server as the PerformancePoint Web Service, then the dashboard designer can import KPIs from any SQL Server Analysis Services server, not just the Analysis Server that resides on the PerformancePoint server.

Without the DLL on the PerformancePoint Server Web Service machine, you will be unable to import KPIs from any Analysis Services server.

I would also check what version this .DLL is and make sure you have the latest build for it.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Averied Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:43 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.. :)

Actually everything is installed on the same machine.. including SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 and PerformancePoint 2010.

I've checked Microsoft.AnalysisServices.dll  is also in the machine, although the version is 9.0.5000.0.

Also, I have 64 bit installation of SQL Server, however, I can see the Microsoft.AnalysisServices.dll is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\SDK\Assemblies, don't know is this is ok.

Anyway, the thing that bothers me is that Dashboard Designer is looking for version 10 of the dll, and SQL 2005 installation puts version 9 in the system. So.. I think if I can get version 10 without a SQL 2008 licence or change DashBoard Designer so that it works with version 9 of the dll, maybe it starts working.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I also installed AMO from the SQL 2008 feature pack, and then I got version 10.0.2531.0 in my system, but still the error is there. I'm guessing DashBoard Designer needs exactly version 10.0.0.0 as I read in a blog (http://prologika.com/CS/blogs/blog/archive/2010/09/07/importing-ssas-kpis-in-performancepoint.aspx) that the issue was fixed installing client components from the SQL Server 2008 DVD, which I don't have a licence for :(

UPDATE 2:

After restarting the server, it started working, so I guess the solution was to install AMO from the SQL 2008 feature pack and restart the server. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction! ISSUE SOLVED!

Best regards!

• Marked as answer by Averied Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:44 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:00 AM