none
Update WS 2016 GPO

Question

• Hi,

Questions on strategies on how to implement WS2016 group policy onto current environment:

At the moment, we have an existing GPO for WS2012 servers. The plan are:

1. Download ADMX files from here (can we please check if this is the latest version of WS2016)?

2. Copy all templates files from the 'Window 10 and WS2016\policies definition' folder to the Central

3. Create a WS2016 GPO (test) > import WS2016 member server security compliance 1.0 from SCM.

4. Once tested, replace the existing WS2012 GPO with the newly created WS2016 GPO.

Is there a Microsoft document detailing how to introduce new WS2016 onto existing Window Servers environment?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    1.-Yeah, this download link is the newest one based on my search.
       -No such separate one for only windows server 2016
       -Based on my understanding, as windows server 2016 and windows 10 are the newest release of windows system, so they have the newest admx files which we could get them from the same link.
    2.Updating/changing ADMX files has no effect on existing GPOs, your existing GPOs will continue to be applied/processed exactly as before. ADMX/ADML files are used for display purposes, and only within the GPMC/GPME and the GPresult/RSoP toolsets, they are not used in any way during applying/processing of a GPO.
    3.As far as I know, there is SCM 4.0 which is applied to windows server 2016, please see: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/secguide/2016/07/28/security-compliance-manager-4-0-now-available-for-download/
    I assume that you want to introduce a windows server 2016 as domain controller, if that is the case, please follow: http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0001262
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:08 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the quick reply.

What is Microsoft recommendation in replacing the existing Windows Server GPO with the new WS2016 policies?

- create a new WS2016 GPO to replace the existing WS GPO? or ... ?

Appreciated.

Best Regards,

• Edited by BlueBerries Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:03 AM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:38 AM
  • Hi,
    Can I ask why you want to replace GPO? What do you mean “replace”?
    Because as I replied, updating/changing ADMX files has no effect on existing GPOs, your existing GPOs will continue to be applied/processed exactly as before. So in my opinion, it seems no need to replace GPO.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 17, 2017 2:05 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:50 AM