End Process on Program Termination/Close using Active Directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I apologize for the lengthy explanation! If you're confused just let me know!

I am an IT Technician for my company and our employees use a program on a day-to-day basis. This program's Task Manager process has an issue on some of our computers: even after you close the program the process is still running in the processes list of Task Manager. This will not allow users to log off (because there is an active program running for the user). Under normal circumstances, we'd just have the employees go to Task Manager and end the process, however, because I am not fond of non-techy persons walking through the processes list and ending processes, we'd like to push a Group Policy update through Active Directory that will automatically terminate the process on program termination.

I am aware of a command that can be run that will automatically terminate a process but I don't know how to make that command run when the program closes using Active Directory.

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 4:50 PM

Answers

• Could you create a script (PowerShell) that does the complete shutdown of the app for them in two steps?  (Close the app, then shut down the process)  Maybe instruct your users to double-click this item on the desktop (shortcut to the script) to close this particular app.. Not a great solution, but certainly better than expecting your users to use the task manager.

You also may want to check with that app vendor, if you haven't already.  If you're having a problem with this, there are likely other customers who are also frustrated by it. 

One final thought: I wonder if running the app in some compatibility mode (as if on an older OS) might solve this issue?  Play around with the properties of the shortcut to launch the app, on the Compatibility tab. 

Hope this answers your question,

Kevin Remde US DX - IT Pro Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://aka.ms/FullofIT http://twitter.com/kevinremde

• Edited by Kevin Remde Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:11 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, March 28, 2016 5:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, April 4, 2016 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:11 PM