Posready 2009 on IBM SurePOS 743 : Setup Failure RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install POSReady 2009 on an IBM SurePOS 743 system. Successfully created a bootable USB stick, booting into the installation environment (CMD shell where SETUP.EXE needs to be started from). However, when trying to run SETUP.EXE, it immediately spawns an "unhandled exception" dialog box, and aborts.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:41 AM

Answers

• Zwox,

So you are telling me that when you boot from DVD, you are getting the command prompt telling you to type "Install"?  This does not make sense to me.  That should only occur when you are booting from the installable USB flash drive that is created from the DVD.  In order to eliminate variables lets focus on the insallation from DVD rather than USB at this point.  Do you have a physical POSReady 2009 DVD?  Is this an Evaluation DVD with a light blue label and the POSReady logo on it? How did you obtain this DVD? Is there any chance this is a copy and not the original? Please confirm whether the setup wizard starts automatically when you boot from the DVD verses display of the command prompt.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Friday, May 13, 2011 2:00 PM

All replies

• If I remember correctly you need to type INSTALL at the prompt when installing from a bootable USB, rather that SETUP.

When you created the bootable USB install image did you properly eject the drive before removing it from the USB port?  If not, the drive may not have finished writing files due to the delayed write process.  Please try recreating the USB and eject the drive before removing it.

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:11 AM
  • Thanks for the answer. I've tried both SETUP and INSTALL, same result (unhandled exception...). This also happens when booting from a DVD; so I do not suspect it to be related to premature USB stick removal. (running setup/install with the /? parameter shows all the available options. Logging does not work, as I suspect the exception to be thrown before any substantial activity takes place)
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Zwox,

When you boot from the POSReady 2009 DVD to start the WinPE phase of setup, does the Install Wizard automatically start?

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:55 AM
  • Nope. It just spawns a CMD screen with the prompt saying "Enter SETUP ..." (might also be INSTALL...). When typing SETUP / INSTALL, immediately the unhandled exception dialog pops up.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Zwox,

So you are telling me that when you boot from DVD, you are getting the command prompt telling you to type "Install"?  This does not make sense to me.  That should only occur when you are booting from the installable USB flash drive that is created from the DVD.  In order to eliminate variables lets focus on the insallation from DVD rather than USB at this point.  Do you have a physical POSReady 2009 DVD?  Is this an Evaluation DVD with a light blue label and the POSReady logo on it? How did you obtain this DVD? Is there any chance this is a copy and not the original? Please confirm whether the setup wizard starts automatically when you boot from the DVD verses display of the command prompt.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Friday, May 13, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Terry,

Well, here I am again - circling back to this topic. For the former POS system, we've chosen for alternatives. But. After a merger here in my company, we have to migrate a bunch of (old) SurePOS systems (781) and we're, again, trying to get POSReady 2009 running on these machines. Same error. 

We've built a bootable USB stick from the 2009 DVD downloaded via our MSDN subscription. It boots fine, but when trying setup or install; same error. You would be a star if you could help us out with this. 

Friday, January 11, 2013 10:29 AM
  • Terry,

After some digging, it seems that the exception is thrown from KERNEL32.DLL!DosPathToSessionPath(). Maybe this is of any use to you ? Been looking at the environment variables etc... but it's just guessing at this point....

Friday, January 11, 2013 11:32 AM