none
scavenge stale resource records - warning: may not be loaded by non-windows 2000 and non-windows server 2003 dns servers RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently attempting to migrate our organization from an ALL static environment to dhcp for clients.  We are running a 2008 R2 DNS server, and I'm having trouble with scavenging the stale resource records.  As records become stale, I want them to be eliminated.

Under a zone, reverse or forward lookup, I right click on the zone, go to properties.  Under the general tab I click the aging button.  I check the box for "scavenge stale resource records" but when I click OK, I get the message:

"You have chosen to enable aging on this Standard Primary Zone, which will modify the zone format.  The zone transfer to secondary servers will be unaffected.  The zone file saved on the Primary server may not be loaded by non-Windows 200 and non-Windows 2003 DNS servers.   Do you still want to apply these settings to this Standard Primary zone?"

My questions:

What is causing this warning?

Why would this appear on a win2008r2 server?

Do I want to click yes?

If I don't want to click yes but I do want to scavenge for stale dns records, how would I make this message go away?

I've tried looking this up on my own and am stumped.  I believe this is the one thing holding us back from finally implementing DHCP.  Please help!  Thank you,

Shawn

• Edited by juniperfan Monday, April 18, 2016 7:02 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 4:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• I do not see a problem in proceeding. Of course, always take backups before making changes.

If this is a DC, it may be better for you to use AD-Integrated DNS zones instead of standard zones.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Monday, April 18, 2016 11:45 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

Agree with X.

>>"You have chosen to enable aging on this Standard Primary Zone, which will modify the zone format.  The zone transfer to secondary servers will be unaffected.  The zone file saved on the Primary server may not be loaded by non-Windows 200 and non-Windows 2003 DNS servers.   Do you still want to apply these settings to this Standard Primary zone?"

This message is telling you,when you finished aging in winserver2008r2,the DNS data can't be used in lower windows version,such as win2000 or win2003.Of cause you could back up before you click YES.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:30 AM