how to: set the assigned to user of an incident based on the first call response RRS feed

• Question

• the subject says it all, but to elaborate - when an incident first comes in, i want a user to be able to hit "set first response", make any comments such as "i got this" and click "set first response" checkbox and then click ok.  from there i want some sort of workflow that will make the same user who acknowledged the ticket (set first response) to be the assigned to user.  i'm guessing this will require some xml trickery or the authoring console - neither of which i'm an expert at.
    Saturday, June 9, 2012 6:28 PM

All replies

• There is no easy way to do this. The analyst setting the first response is not recorded directly, like through a property or relationship. I can think of two solutions:

1. Create a custom workflow triggered on First Response Date changed. Look at the history records for the incident and find the one equal to or immediately after this date. From that, you can get the user, for example (this is for MAs and just fetches the new one but you get the idea):

//Get the completing user from the history records
    IList<EnterpriseManagementObjectHistoryTransaction> listHistory = emg.EntityObjects.GetObjectHistoryTransactions(emoMA);
    string sDomainUserName = "";

foreach (EnterpriseManagementObjectHistoryTransaction emoht in listHistory.OrderByDescending(e => e.DateOccurred))
    {
        //This will be the most recent history entry so get the username involved
        sDomainUserName = emoht.UserName;
        break;
    }

Then set the assigned to user to this user. However, history records can be an unreliable way of doing this, but normally it works.

2. Replace the Set First Reponse console task with your own that does the assignment for you at the same time.

Both solutions require dev work and knowledge of the SDK, though.

This will help for the console task:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/12/22/tasks-part-2-custom-console-tasks-for-create-edit-delete.aspx

This will help for creating a custom workflow assembly:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/05/06/incident-sla-management-in-service-manager.aspx?PageIndex=2

See "How we built the solution".

Rob Ford scsmnz.net

• Edited by Rob.Ford Monday, June 11, 2012 7:20 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Thanks for the response Rob.  I had a hunch it wasn't gonna be easy... any ideas of a SCORCH solution?
    Monday, June 11, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Very likely you could do this with Orchestrator somehow but it is not something I am particularly familiar with. I think you might still have a similar problem linking  the first response user to the assignee as you are basically working with the same properties. Perhaps Powershell can also help.

Rob Ford scsmnz.net

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:54 PM