none
Change of Cluster Application/Service names when backing up SQL RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

Last week we had an incident where DPM 2012 SP1 UR7 suddenly began backing up our SQL Production databases by node names instead of the cluster name.

Before the change our backup looked like this: "DB01 SQL Server.cl01.test.local" and after the below change it was something like: "CN50.DB01 SQL Server (CN50)"

The reason was that a SQL admin has changed the Cluster Application name from "DB01 SQL Server" to "DB01 SQL Server (CN50)". This way he could easier see what was the preffered node.

To make things even better, when you change back the Cluster Apllication/Service name to the original and hope that everything is fine, then it's not and DPM cannot backup the SQL DB.

So i had to restore the DPMDB from the secondary to a point in time before the SQL admin made the change. In my case i was Lucky to see it within two days, so i only lost two days of recovery points.

My statement is that because someone changes the name of a Cluster Application/Services then it must not impact DPM’s backup of SQL? Any comments on this would be nice :)

/René

Monday, September 15, 2014 7:40 AM

All replies

• HI,

Changing a cluster resource group name that is protected by DPM is covered in the following TechNet article.

Changing Resource Groups on Clustered SQL Servers

Changing the name of a resource group will affect the protection of all data sources in the resource group. To change the name of a resource group, perform the following steps:

1. Stop protection of the resource group.
    2. Change the name of the resource group.
    3. Begin protection of the resource group under its new name.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 15, 2014 11:45 AM