none
Recursive use of dataflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I have no ADSg2 subscription now, but want to know a little bit more about its use with Power Query Online in advance.

Is it possible:

1. Pro user creates a dataflow A which takes data from the source A, and a dataflow B that takes data from the source B.
    2. Dataflow A consumed the output of dataflow B.
    3. Then Dataflow A loaded to a corresponding CDM Folder in ADLSg2.
    4. Then user changes a dataflow A so it now takes data from that CDM Folder (but not from the source A) and combines it with dataflow B.

In the other words, like self-referenced tables in Excel, but in ADLSg2.

Will this schema work with PQ online and ADLSg2? If so, there are very interesting scenarios I can see.

Maxim Zelensky Excel Inside

Saturday, March 9, 2019 8:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• So, I digged into this question myself.

After I spent a few hours setting up ADLSg2 and connecting to it from the Power BI (oh, it is overcomplicated process for the regular Power BI user who knows nothing about Azure), I can state a few things:

1. RTFM first and read it completely - it will save you few hours 
    2. CDM folder could be connected only as separate Dataflow, so there's no native way to:
      • create an entity in a dataflow which connects to the CDM folder (which is the only way to reuse entity for Pro account)
    3. Dataflows from CDM folders cannot be edited, so there's no native way (even in the Premium capacity) to:
      • combine data from CDM folder (dataflow A) with the other dataflow (B)
      • create linked entities for dataflows created from CDM folders

So, for now I cannot see the way to implement recursive use of dataflows via ADLSg2.

Sad, but I can see the reasons

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:27 AM
  • Though I didn't found a solution which works with different dataflows, I found a solution which works in one dataflow for some data sources (which don't require gateways)

Here it is: Classical Incremental Refresh For Cloud Data Sources in Power BI Service

Friday, March 22, 2019 8:50 AM