none
Is it possible to customize the FIM Reset Portal Error Pages? RRS feed

• Question

• We would like the password reset error message to include some different verbage and a link to the registration portal.  Can I customize this?  

I've customized the look but I can't figure out how to customize the page content.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 5:18 PM

All replies

• It is possible to make changes to the error messages, I don't know if it is possible to add links though.

Take a look at FIM 2010 R2 Portal Customization for more information.

--- Jesper Lönnqvist, Identity Architect http://addition-it.se

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:56 PM
  • I've achieved this in the past in a really grubby way which I don't recommend. 

You can modify most of the wording using customised strings (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134312(v=ws.10).aspx) 

You can't add a link using customised strings but you can if you modify Default.aspx in \Program Files\Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager\2010\Password Reset Portal.

Within this file there are various <asp:view> elements which are shown or hidden on the page depending on the user's progress through the portal. Previously I have added an <a href="url">link</a> element at the bottom of the <asp:View ID="ResetSuccessView" runat="server"> element in order to show a link below the password reset success page. If you wanted to add a link to registration from the reset portal, you'd probably want it at the name prompt element, somewhere inside <asp:View ID="ViewStartReset" runat="server">.

I'd really not recommend this as a solution though. First off, will users who are unable to login and attempting to reset their password really need a link to the registration page when they are unable to login to register? Second, this isn't a supported solution, it won't support multiple languages, an update may remove the link or the ability to have a link... There will be many other reasons why this is a bad idea. 

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:42 AM