AppV 5 Office applications won't talk to KMS RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to sequence Lync 2013 in AppV5, but I get errors when it's published.  It revolves around the licensing.  For some reason, it won't talk back to the KMS.

How did the Office 2013 Preview package work?  I keep getting shell extension and DCOM issues.

Can anyone help?

Here is where the DCOM for licensing is failed (in report.xml):

<ISSUE CODE="5" SEVERITY="WRN" MODULE="3731881984"> <DESCRIPTION SHORT="DCOM subsystem detected." FULL="The sequencer detected a DCOM subsystem. Application components that use DCOM will not work with App-V." /> <RESOLUTION SHORT="Verify package functionality." FULL="Thoroughly test your virtual application package to verify functionality." /> <MOREINFO DESCRIPTION="The DCOM subsystems detected are as follows:"> <ITEM DESCRIPTION="CSISYNCCLIENT.EXE (LaunchPermission)" /> <ITEM DESCRIPTION="Office Licensing COM Server 15 (AccessPermission)" /> <ITEM DESCRIPTION="Watson subscriber for SENS Network Events (RunAs)" /> <ITEM DESCRIPTION="{37B05236-FFB5-4D42-B0C8-4A36CBF1BE15} (AccessPermission)" /> <ITEM DESCRIPTION="{75F8B0F3-5E33-40FF-B553-E9BF16B3B108} (RunAs)" /> <ITEM DESCRIPTION="{C6EB466D-5A20-4F82-8862-A0AE4E61553D} (RunAs)" /> <ITEM DESCRIPTION="{C806725C-6E3A-450C-B261-74E8B49FFC9A} (RunAs)" /> </MOREINFO> </ISSUE>

Monday, November 19, 2012 10:10 PM

Answers

• Before you start sequencing Office applications with App-V 5.0, have you read this KB article: Supported scenarios for deploying Microsoft Office as a sequenced App-V Package ?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Mangum Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:27 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 10:39 PM
  • DCOM still won't be supported in App-V 5. There's some more here: What's New in App-V 5.0

Shell extension (i.e. plug-ins to Explorer) aren't supported either. This is because EXPLORER.EXE is running outside of the virtual environment.

App-V 5.0 supports what's called Extension Points (which aren't shell extensions specifically), rather they might be things like mailto: protocols etc. Tim Mangan has a great write up here: What You Need To Know about Microsoft App-V 5

As for the Office 2013 package, it's my understanding that the Office team controls that rather than the App-V team. The Preview package includes some special "stuff" that is made easier by App-V 5.0 but I'm not 100% sure that it's available for everyone. Hence the only supported method of creating an Office 2013 package will be with the Office Deployment Tool.

There's still plenty to be discovered once that tool is generally available.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:01 PM

All replies

• Before you start sequencing Office applications with App-V 5.0, have you read this KB article: Supported scenarios for deploying Microsoft Office as a sequenced App-V Package ?

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Mangum Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:27 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 10:39 PM
  • Apologies, I had not seen this KB.  I knew that there was the 2013 Preview AppV package (but that's preview.. we have the full version).

It still brings to question though - I though in AppV5 DCOM and Shell Extensions were supposed to be supported, or at least I'm sure I read that in one of the AppV 5 Beta blogs...  maybe I misunderstood.  Could you possibly clarify?

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:29 PM
  • DCOM still won't be supported in App-V 5. There's some more here: What's New in App-V 5.0

Shell extension (i.e. plug-ins to Explorer) aren't supported either. This is because EXPLORER.EXE is running outside of the virtual environment.

App-V 5.0 supports what's called Extension Points (which aren't shell extensions specifically), rather they might be things like mailto: protocols etc. Tim Mangan has a great write up here: What You Need To Know about Microsoft App-V 5

As for the Office 2013 package, it's my understanding that the Office team controls that rather than the App-V team. The Preview package includes some special "stuff" that is made easier by App-V 5.0 but I'm not 100% sure that it's available for everyone. Hence the only supported method of creating an Office 2013 package will be with the Office Deployment Tool.

There's still plenty to be discovered once that tool is generally available.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:01 PM
  • I must have misread the blog then (don't worry, wasn't yours :) ), thanks for the great information.  Guess I'll just do a thick install of 2013 while I wait.
    I've got plenty of other packages to work on migrating anyways :)
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Monday, December 2, 2013 6:08 PM